Check us out:

Photo
- - - - -

Tips, tricks, tactics...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

VaeVictis

VaeVictis

Still Considered a Newbie

• Members
  • 29 posts
Click to view battle stats
Well, I tried to contribute to the tips&tricks section and a moderator asked me to prepare a full new post on it... let's start with 30...

Class: all

Tactic: avoid ban
0. I got two bans as rookie (I'm still rookie, gosh!). Playing infiltrator behind enemy lines alone without knowing the map, made me drop a nade in the middle of the enemy spawn. So I asked the moderators to remove the ban, they did. Second time was sniping people on enemy spawn. Problem was they were firing from there. So help the moderators to locate such map cheats to block them in order to favour the following of the server rules.
OK, let's go to the most basic tip: know the map. Know the objectives. Know what your team need to do to achieve the victory. And know where and where not put your nades/mortars/strike cans!!!! Deathmach maps are specially critic.

Tactic: help your team, dude
1. You hit and run, hit and run. Stand outta there watching the view, and you'll loose your head. Specially if I'm with the scope.
2. Injured enemies can reveal your position and can be revived. Dead enemies provide ammo, guns or health packs. Unless you are preparing a trap for a medic, end with that whining scum :D
3. Clear the zone. Then explore, reveal mines, plant others...
4. Behind enemy lines. You find yourself behind enemy lines, no help around and you're not a specific sabotage class. Try to gib enemies (avoiding spawns) unnoticed (so you can save ammo for when things went rough). Get rid of that darn mortar that is smashing your fellows.
5. You lost your pants? state it clear your teammates.
6. Balance your team. No matter if you are a superb medic, if your team needs engs, play eng godamit!

Class: covert ops

Tactic: Marksmen
7. Difference between a pro sharpshooter and a rookie is that the pro gets away after his best shoot. The rookie stays -Frank Castle, the Punisher.
8. Some sharpshooters sneak to see the objective, shoot and then crawl backwards to safety. If you saw where they dissapear, shoot slightly behind the corner/hill where they dissapear. If they're close enough (most times) you can hit them. There is a bug in the program about the hit zones (specially heads). Programmers constructed a box where you can hit. And it is slightly larger than the head you actually see.
9. Headshots. Loosing the helmet can be a nice experience for the HMG operator. If you cannot end him, at least he'll seek for cover. It also works for airstrike fans, covert ops and everyone that though it was safe shoot from there. Blow their balls away, or at least their safety feeling and get some time for your team to reach the door/ramp/platform.
10. It is fun to play Enemy at the gates and chase other marksmen, but it could be more useful to your team to gib an enemy eng/mortar/field ops.
11. Flank attack. You see a rifle/SMG appear behind a corner. Aim with the scope guessing where the enemy hands are. You can get a hit.
12. The silenced SMGs are more effective than other SMGs at long distance: they group better the shoots.

Tactic: Sabotage
13. Be sure to destroy the corpse once you have stolen his uniform. Leaving a corpse without pants is a sure hint to shout Enemy in disguise!.
14. Help your teammates with heavy weapons: drop a smoke nade on the enemies path so they can hit your teammate with the flamer/panzerfaust.
15. Satchel charges are booby traps. They can be useful to stop distracted enemies trying to force an entry or engineers trying to complete a construction, but you won't help your team waiting long for a rookie coming close your charge.
16. Drop a smoke grenade on a minesfield. Then wait for the survivors.

Class: engineer

Tactic: the despictable class
17. Be sure your team had enough engs. If the map needs a vehicle or to blow something, engs are essential. To repair or damage the vehicle, to plant or defuse dynamite. I've lost many games due to a lack of engs than other classes.

Tactic: minesfields
18. Map hiding spots. Once you have learn the hide spots, MINE'EM!
19. Seek for bushes, terrain changes... plant mines behind them so a running/walking enemy cannot see them.
20. Mining corners. Be sure you mine the corners/safe areas behind corners for the enemies (it is so easy to step on a mine when turning a corner). Be sure that mines won't get your teammates.
21. Sometimes you cannot mine the path of a vehicle to stop it, but you can mine the sideways to get enemies using it as cover.

Tactic: cleaning rooms/corners
22. Learn how to make the rifle grenades bounce against the walls to get an enemy hidden behind a corner. Aim to the head ;)

Tactic: the infinite uses of dynamite
23. Planting dynamite on the vehicles (even if they're damaged yet) will force an enemy eng to jump on it and disable the dyno. If not, it can stop later a moving vehicle (or prevent soldiers coming close to it for cover)

Class: field ops

Tactic: booby traps
24. Throw an ammo box on an isolated mine. It is soooo tempting to get some free ammo...

Tactic: better airstrikes/artillery
25. You can kick the smoke cans to reach zones that you won't reach... alive.
26. There are some instant artillery scripts very useful to ask for a strike real fast.

Class: soldier

27. Friend or foe? Most of your class weapons don't discriminate.
28. Unless you are a superb Rambo player, don't go alone behind enemy lines with a flamer, a venom or a panzerfaust.

Tactic: mortar killer
29. I've seen good mortar players get more than 40 victims on a map, aiming at bottlenecks. Learn to use the map ('G' key) to aim your mortar shoots. The mortar camera is funny to see if you just hit a foe, but your cov ops will mark on the map where the enemies are stopping your team. Five men is a juicy opportunity, one man's a waste of ammo -Sgt. Horvath

Tactic: barb-b-q
30. Flamers are nice to clear small, closed rooms. Be sure your mates see what you are doing before cooking a fellow's pants. Anyway, there are always bar-b-q lovers that would cross your fire line.

Class: (almost all)
31. Tactic: carnage. This tactic is suggested to be out of date, see comments below.
Know your weapons (there are old damage tables elsewere in the net)

The Thompson can do a 30% more damage on body shots than the MP5, but the later can fire a 20% faster. Nevertheless, don't change your weapon unless you are running out of ammo or you are behind enemy lines, where is easy to get ammo for the opponent's weapons.
Akimbo pistols are sometimes faster than SMGs, although they run out of ammo sooner (and need more time to recharge).
Paratroops rifle has less zoom in its scope, but it can fire faster, with less recoil.
The Sten has a very high rate of fire, although it overheats after 10 rounds of continuous fire. Is a good weapon to learn how to shoot short bursts. It is also more precise for long distance kills.

32. Tactic: fireworks
You hear the 'click': you stepped into a mine. The hint here is jump and run, trying to avoid the explosion. It worked for me... let's say 1 of each 10 times. Well, so you are f*cked: assume it. Dead man walking, the mine *will* blow your balls. Look around. Are there other mines? Well, use your corpse to detonate one or two more, meaning one or two of your mates won't step on them. Run in the direction of more mines. Don't walk! Try to explode as many as you can.

Class: cov ops
33. Tactic: better sniper skills
As a general rule, snipers are better when maps have large areas, when your team needs to attack positions, or run along long areas to reach an objective.

You need to choose between a high fire ratio or precision. That's up to your style. You can achieve better speed and less recoil with the BAR and the FG42, but scope is worse with them.

Sniping is an art of patience, both in ET and in real life. But ET needs also speed. You need to scope the zone in which most probably you see an enemy. The first shoot needs to be on the head. This causes the major damage possible. Since the enemy now knows that he has been shot, it gives you the opoortunity to gib him with the second shot. Second shot needs to be as fast as possible. Now you don't mind about precision, you just need the hit. With healthy enemies (such as high rank medics) you need probably a 3rd shot. And a high rank enemy won't wait for you to hit them again. Some players crouch and stand when they know they can be sniped. Learn how to predict when and where will they show.

Other times you could find an enemy boot, or arm. If he's crawling, you can give him the three hits you need to gib him before he can stand and run.

There are plenty of places to hide. Bushes, roofs, hills... the higher position of a building/hill/tree is too visible for other players. It is a good tactic position to get other players, but it is also the first way to seek for a sniper. Seek positions inside buildings, across windows, on trees... remember that your shotburst will give the other players a hint where are you hiding. Distance is an advantage then, or hiding your shot while your team is attacking and firing in that direction. Although a higher place provides you with longer sight, it is also easy to scope it from a ground place more hidden.

Shot and change position when possible. This will confuss the enemy trying to locate you (and preventing a mortar or an airstrike, when not a SMG burst).

Snipe tactic objectives: good players or needful classes. Also players blocking your teammates, MG operators, airstrikers, etc.

Class: medic
34. Tactic: come and get me, if you have what you need to have
There's no better way to get XP fast than being in the frontline. Attracting enemy fire will help your mates to sneak behind enemy lines and get the objective. Have some stamina and get in the middle of 'em, Conan style. Kill as most as you can, and let them kill themselves in the crossfire trying to gib you. Nades are a must.

Class: soldier
35. Heavy weapons. Unfortunately, heavy weapons such as the venom or the flamer need to warm up. This gives the enemy the opportunity to gib you if they're fast enough -remember it if you are fighting against such weapons. Move fast, avoid the enemy and gib him if you can.

Class: medic/field ops
Tactic: I like to move it, move it!
36. Camp somewhere in the field where you can dominate a large area. Take advantage of it against enemies firing to you -remember to be plenty of ammo & wealth or do it as Medic or FieldOps. Remember than once you have been spotted, some enemies will try to hunt you down. Don't use the camp again unless the tactic advantage compensates the risk when they know where you are. Change camps if you can.

Tactic: One man making the difference
37. There are some bottlenecks easy to defend by just one man. Locate them and if a sniper friend can help wth some shots, you can resist there pretty long. It is good to play Rambo medic for that, so you can supply the health and steal the ammo from the fallen enemies.

Class: all
Tactic: Move, move, move!
38. Once you respawn, try to use alternate routes to exit the spawn area. It is too easy to shoot at enemies grouped all running from spawn at the same time.

39. You run out of your main weapon ammo? Don't waste time seeking for an ammo box, you probably will find sooner the weapon of a fallen.

You want to go one step beyond? Let's start with some advanced tactics for beginners.

Class:all
Tactic: Team-up
40. I think teams are underused. Once you know the basics of the map, the mission points, where are the key places, doors, barriers, etc. a good idea is teaming up with someone of your team. If the player is more skilled than you, offer him/her the complimentary class he needs. For example, he's an eng. He'd like to be helped by a medic, but sometimes a cov ops that can open doors for him will be better. Offer help to your teammates. A simple "What do you need?" will be enough.

Tactic: Firing squad
41. Basic firing skill for 2-players teamup is to move in circles. Yes, you know fire avoiding tactis like running in circles, now you do it with your teammate. When contact with the enemy is done, the player closer to the enemy chooses to move, clock or anticlockwise. The further player moves in the opposite direction, so the enemy is always in a cross fire and trying to gib two objectives at once. Best is to keep an angle of 90º between your teammate and yourself. Larger angles will cause friendly fire, narrower angles must be chosen when the enemy comes from a certain bottleneck. This tactic is avoidable by a loner enemy player running between the teamup.

Tip:5 button mouse
42. If your 5-button mouse seems not working properly with the ET (you cannot get the buttons 4 and 5 working) check that you don't installed a mouse-control software (like Logitech one). You can disable it during the play using the ETmin or just the windows key and unloading the program from memory.

Tip: need ammo!
Automatic reload. I prefer to set it off and bind a mouse button for reloading. Helpful when you're low on light weapons XP and it is faster to select a new weapon. Even with high XP I prefer the manual reload so I can choose when to do it. But it makes me to be very aware of the clip load.

Tip: trickjumping
Nobody told you that pressing jump twice you can jump higher? Go and give it a try.

Tip: discover America
Maps are filled with new places to explore, hidden ladders, jumps to gain a better position... watch the experienced users.

Edited by VaeVictis, 14 January 2009 - 06:20 PM.

THEN00B

THEN00B

Exploring the area

• Founders
  • 1,280 posts
/Moved to Hints and Tips

Very nicely done

jacco92

jacco92

Becoming a Part of the Forum

• Members
  • 449 posts
haha lol ohmy.gif

PROWND

PROWND

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 803 posts
Good additions Thx

Cupra

Cupra

Postin Ain't Easy

• Bunker Members
  • 688 posts
Well maybe add some are for NQ only.

OTRA

OTRA

On The Road To Success

• Members
  • 140 posts
Nice one!

VaeVictis

VaeVictis

• Members
  • 29 posts
Added tactics 31-34. Enjoy!

ShadowKatana

ShadowKatana

Postin Ain't Easy

• Members
  • 549 posts
Some of the weapons infomation is incorrect (unless there are NQ changes to them). MP40 and Thompson originally had differences, but they now have the same clip size, rate of fire, and damage. How long it takes for the Sten to overheat depends slightly on your FPS, but for most people, it's 14-16 rounds of continuous fire (I think).

Edited by ShadowKatana, 27 March 2008 - 04:45 PM.

VaeVictis

VaeVictis

• Members
  • 29 posts
QUOTE(ShadowKatana @ Mar 27 2008, 05:44 PM) View Post
Some of the weapons infomation is incorrect (unless there are NQ changes to them). MP40 and Thompson originally had differences, but they now have the same clip size, rate of fire, and damage. How long it takes for the Sten to overheat depends slightly on your FPS, but for most people, it's 14-16 rounds of continuous fire (I think).

Could be, my damage weapons data are quite old. Need to update them with experiments. Any volunteers to let themselves killed? tongue.gif

ShadowKatana

ShadowKatana

Postin Ain't Easy

• Members
  • 549 posts
Heh, those changes are in one of the patches, not sure which. Just go read some of the old patch documentation.

deathninja

deathninja

Hi, My Name Is..

• Members
  • 12 posts
QUOTE(ShadowKatana @ Mar 27 2008, 03:28 PM) View Post
Heh, those changes are in one of the patches, not sure which. Just go read some of the old patch documentation.

nice tips

jacco92

jacco92

Becoming a Part of the Forum

• Members
  • 449 posts
Yes good to begin ET with this tips good... rolleyes.gif

VaeVictis

VaeVictis

• Members
  • 29 posts
Well, added tip 0... I should have start with that!!!

xPolak

xPolak

Postin Ain't Easy

• Members
  • 601 posts
For those of you that dont know how to link up your shortcut to auto connect to a server
Right click on the icon, go to target, at the end of the target add;

+connect SERVERIP

this will as you can tell auto connect you to the server you wish
basically any command known in console you can put in your target just add the +COMMAND and w/e it is ex: +name Peter will be automatically set when executing the program.

Now there is a drawgun setting in ET, which can be disabled/enabled to show your gun or not.
I have been using /testgun for years due to habbit. ONE big difference, with drawgun off i dont see my flamer, but when i flame, i can see them. with testgun. you cant even see your own flame. try it out sometime its hilarious. oh and no i dont know how to reverse it, everytime you reconnect it reverses, and when a new map loads it reverses. a command for it is unknown.

VaeVictis

VaeVictis

• Members
  • 29 posts
QUOTE(xPolak @ Apr 3 2008, 05:02 PM) View Post
For those of you that dont know how to link up your shortcut to auto connect to a server
Right click on the icon, go to target, at the end of the target add;

+connect SERVERIP

this will as you can tell auto connect you to the server you wish
basically any command known in console you can put in your target just add the +COMMAND and w/e it is ex: +name Peter will be automatically set when executing the program.

Now there is a drawgun setting in ET, which can be disabled/enabled to show your gun or not.
I have been using /testgun for years due to habbit. ONE big difference, with drawgun off i dont see my flamer, but when i flame, i can see them. with testgun. you cant even see your own flame. try it out sometime its hilarious. oh and no i dont know how to reverse it, everytime you reconnect it reverses, and when a new map loads it reverses. a command for it is unknown.

Well, I tend not to draw my gun, so I can spot all enemies on screen. Otherwise, the re are some dead angles I cannot avoid

ive+got+a+gun

ive+got+a+gun

Postin Ain't Easy

• Bunker Members
  • 632 posts
well best tactic is: use your ears!!! i survived so much fights/done so much objects cause i used headphones and listened to steps on sand etc.

most ppl dont listen what happens beside....have so much funny memorys speccing some1 haha they didnt listen and i allways knowed where enemy is due to ears itz some kind of wallhack lol smile.gif

VaeVictis

VaeVictis

• Members
  • 29 posts
Though it was necessary to give some advanced tips for the not-so-noob-beginners...

I know, I know, I don't follow my own tips always (the unpredictable one *growl*!!) tongue.gif But so is the game, usually you're too involved to remember and you step on your teammates toes... or a booby trap.

VaeVictis

VaeVictis

• Members
  • 29 posts
Well, more on the way

EZFrag

EZFrag

Will Become Famous Soon Enough

• Bunker Admins
  • 1,753 posts
I have a couple of helpful tips for noobies. Now just cause I play like a noob, doesn't mean I am a noob. One suggestion I have is to learn the number buttons above the letters. Use them to change from your gun to your needle if you are a medic, pliers if an engineer, satchel if you are a covert, etc. Do not rely on the wheel on your mouse. It is too slow and you might wake up dead.

Another tip is to change the configuration of your game so you gun does not auto reload. When in a firefight, kinda keep track of how many bullets you have fired. When your ammo gets low, change to your pistol (using the above tip) and keep shooting. If your enemy runs out of bullets and autoreloads, you are still firing.

Third and most important tip. When you see |>B<|EZFrag heading toward you, stop shooting and press c.

Frag on!!!