Check us out:

Photo
- - - - -

Medivak's guide to the healing medic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

Medivak

Medivak

Will Become Famous Soon Enough

• Old retired farts
  • 1,790 posts
Click to view battle stats
Medivak’s guide to being a good medic who heals good and stuff

This guide is just a collection of tips specifically aimed at the player who like to play the medic class as a healing role. Experienced players will know most of this, but I still see lots of people on B1 that could stand to hear some of this. Even if you can't shoot for crap, following these tips will have you maxing out your medic XP in less than a full map, as well as racking up best medic awards and the respect of your teamates.

A few notes to start with:

-A Rambo medic is a player who chooses the medic class primarily for the higher max health, the ability to self heal, and the ability to use adren, so that they can kill more effectively. I have absolutely no problem with Rambo meds and think they are an integral part to most strategic efforts. This guide if for people who want to heal better, not for me to tell you how to play or to not Rambo. I like to Rambo too sometimes.

-I do not claim to be the best medic on B1, or even the 10th best. If you think I’m wrong about something, chime in and correct me!

-This guide is primarily written for ETPub type game-play.

-This is a work in progress.

Rule #1!!!1! The absolute most important thing is to adopt the mentality that your primary job is to heal, and then to take pride in that job. This certainly doesn’t mean you always have to heal first (more on this later) but you should train yourself over time to take more pride in a revive than a kill. I don’t look at my K:d ratio, I look at my syringe hits.

Spam health packs in smart places

Try to find where the heaviest fighting is, stand well behind your teammates on the front lines, and throw health packs at them. It’s that easy. This is probably the best thing you can do for your team, other than protecting an engineer doing something important.

Don’t just litter your packs on the ground anywhere. Put them in smart places where you know that your friends will need them. Put them around constructible objectives, or near mg placements for example.

If you have a lot of people with high XP on your team, go ahead and drop health packs in your spawn as you exit. This is because you will have teammates with level 3 battle sense, which gives them a slightly higher health, but they don’t spawn with a full health bar. However, if your team has little XP, don’t bother.

Do not leave health packs where the enemy is likely to use them. The best example is the vault on gold rush. Thoughtless medics will litter the floor with health packs, which only wind up helping the people trying to steal the gold.

Try to throw health packs to your teammates. Your teammates, while whining about how the medics on their team suck, will basically do everything they can to NOT pick up the health packs you throw for them. Even good players will run right past them, often not realizing they even need them. It sucks for you, but when you can, try to actually hit your teammates with the packs. Plus they’ll notice you more often and think you are super cool.

Do not throw health packs on the ground near health cabinets. It’s a complete waste in most situations.

Use the damn needle
You can use your needle to heal teammates when their health is very low. Learn exactly what a health bar looks like when it’s low enough to use your needle, and then use it, especially if you have full revive.

If their health is slightly too high to use the needle, give them one bullet somewhere below the shoulders (without killing them) and then use the needle. Do not use a knife as this tends to freak people out (they think you are an enemy covert ops). Just shoot them while moving towards them, pull out the needle and stick them. It should be one motion. Many people will know what you are doing.

If you are trying to needle someone and they won’t stand still, DO NOT CHASE THEM with your needle. This WILL get you killed. You can let them go and help someone else, you can throw packs at them, or you can shoot them dead and revive them ��“ this is called a TK revive. A few notes:

Do not TK revive covert ops in stolen uniforms, because they lose it and will hate you.

Also, some admins frown on this practice. If you get warned for TK-reviving, just do as you are told. However, you will find that as you develop a reputation for good medic play, nobody will care anymore if you TK revive.

Know your teammates and help them selectively

I know it sounds harsh, but some of your teammates don’t deserve your help, at least not when compared to the other people on your team actually doing something. This means you need to know who on your team is all about winning maps (and knows how to do that) and who is just wasting a slot.

There are a few general rules of thumb (though they are by no means universal).

A_) Engineers are almost always your priority on offense. Learn who the best engineers are and stay near them when you can.

B_) Snipers should be your last priority. Maybe there is a l33t sniper really helping your boys out, but I doubt it. I basically don’t heal snipers, because when I do, I just feel guilty that I’m not in a position to do something more productive.

C_) Don’t be scared to heal other medics. I know you don’t get any precious XP but healing other medics is usually a good idea, but only if there aren’t other worthwhile people to heal.

Tapping out

Don’t forget that when you tap out, you scatter a few medic packs on the ground. Thus, some times it’s best to tap out before the spawn timer hits 0 in order to let someone else have those packs. Conversely, sometimes it’s best NOT to tap until later than you normally would to avoid giving the enemy any help (e.g. your friend bob is in a close smg battle with a bad guy and the bad guy is basically right on top of your near dead body ��“ don’t tap out!).

Reviving

For good medics, the glory is in reviving fallen comrades. However, when to revive is not always cut and dry.

First, don't get tunnel vision. The injured player isn't moving, so you don't need to look at him while moving towards him to heal. Stay away of your surroundings. Recognize that the enemy knows where you are going, so don't make an easy target as enemies often camp bodies (and not every one is savy enough to tap if camped). Also, keep your gun out till the last moment..running with your needle out is a sure fire way to get pwnd.

Get into the habit of kneeling as you revive. This will improve your accuracy with the needle and make it easier to use the revivee as a shield (see below). Proning can also be effective though I rarely do it (thanks Wookie).

Often times you are faced with a situation where you need to revive someone, but you are getting shot at. There is no universal rule for when to shoot back first and revive later or vise versa. People who don’t play medics will authoritatively tell you that you should revive teammates first, then shoot. Immediately tell them to stfu! Just try to use good judgment and you’ll get a feel for when to do what.

If you are not a very good shooter and your fallen teammate is, you might revive them, sacrificing yourself in the process. If that teammate is a medic, you can have a little more confidence in this action, as they are likely to revive you in turn if you do in fact go down.

However, if you are a good shooter and are confident that you can end the fight and then revive, feel free. Or you can keep shooting at least until you get closer to your fallen teammate.

On the flip side of this, if another medic gets themselves killed reviving you, try to pop up with your needle ready to quickly revive them in turn. I’ve seen teams of 2 and 3 medics absolutely dominate their enemies by doing this.

One last thing to consider is whether you can effectively use your teammate as a shield. This is a great trick ��“ you revive your teammate and keep them between you and your enemy, using their invulnerable status as a shield. Keep in mind though that this only last 3 seconds and invariably your teammate is going to very quickly move out of the way as soon as they can.

These days I tend to (most of the time) keep shooting while working my way towards the fallen teammate, the once I get close I revive them, and use them as a shield. This gets a pretty consistent good result.

Get a 5 button mouse

Just go get one. Have fire, pistols, smg, health packs, and the revive needle bound to your mouse buttons. Don’t bind adren. If you absolutely can’t get a 5 button mouse, PLEASE learn to use the number keys to switch between inventory items; do not use the stupid mouse wheel. However, if you play medic a lot and have never tried a 5 button mouse, I guarantee the next day after buying one you will absolutely pwn as a medic.

Minimize using health packs on yourself

Your health recharges fairly quickly. Take advantage of this and save your health packs for you teammates. If you are primarily playing a support/healing role, this is fairly safe to do in most situations. If you do need to use your own packs, KEEP moving and run over them as you throw them in front of you. Don’t just stand there and heal up unless you are in a very safe place and don’t need to be anywhere else.

Throw health packs at poisoned teammates

This will cure them. In turn, make sure you don’t throw health packs at poisoned enemies.

Gib enemies

If your are positioned behind the fighting, throwing health packs and supporting your team, look out for ungibbed enemy bodies and gib them so the front line fighters can keep shooting at the live ones.

Adrenaline

OK, after all your hard work spamming health packs and reviving thankless teammates, you get the holy grail of W:ET perks ��“ Adrenaline. Time to pwn? NO.

Adrenaline is for losers and mass reviving. Every time you stick that needle in your arm you FAIL to accomplish several things.

A_) You are likely trying to get kills, which means you are violating Rule #1 (see above).

B_) You are wiping out your recharge bar so you can’t throw packs. Sure, you might kill a few more guys than you would have normally, but unless you are a truly skilled dealer of death, just skip the temptation of using your adren and keep doing your job. More bad guys will die in the end.

However, there are some legit times to pop that needle in your arm:

A_) When running objectives.
B_) When your team is pinned down in the spawn area and you desperately need to push the enemy back.
C_) When you need to revive a key teammate (usually the engineer).
D_) When you see multiple teammates needing to be revived on your radar.

More to come later, along with a few demos.

Edited by Medivak, 26 May 2008 - 12:34 PM.

EZFrag

EZFrag

• Bunker Admins
  • 1,753 posts
After being revived, don't tk your medic. thanks

Medivak

Medivak

• Old retired farts
  • 1,790 posts
lol....bitter much?

tongue.gif

suckafool

suckafool

A Name Known to All

• Bunker Admins
  • 4,079 posts
Woah nice job.Day off of work or what?....... tongue.gif

Medivak

Medivak

• Old retired farts
  • 1,790 posts
lol, kind of. I have a work trip to South Africa and I leave tomorrow. I have a boat load of work before I leave, some of which is running these statistical models that take 10minutes to a couple of hours to work. So I wrote this last night while to kill time one of these things was churning. I'm curious to read it myself after I get some sleep smile.gif.

Lucretia

Lucretia
yes very nice medi hopefully people will read this and learn helpful tricks,
btw in a gun fight and you see a enemy engie soldier and medic i 98%
shoot at the medic first and keep shooting so if another medic magically appears he can't revive him. biggrin.gif

TMWookie

TMWookie

Becoming a Part of the Forum

• Bunker Members
  • 345 posts
QUOTE(Medivak @ May 12 2008, 05:56 AM) View Post
Get into the habit of kneeling as you revive. This will improve your accuracy with the needle and make it easier to use the revivee as a shield (see below).

Good stuff Medi, I just wanted to add something on this part. Depending on the situation (for example, if the enemy is straight ahead down a narrow hallway), I will go prone to needle. The smaller space makes the player your reviving less likely to move to the side as quick and you get that shield action. Of course you dont want to go prone out in the open cause the enemy can just run around to the side or behind you.

gokusan1993

gokusan1993

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
Waou! ohmy.gif
Great job, Medi. smile.gif
It was a real pleasure to read it all. laugh.gif

greets

haX

haX

Becoming a Part of the Forum

• Members
  • 324 posts
I think you can heal w/ needle w/o TK if Health is <1/4. Correct if wrong.

CrankDatBatman

CrankDatBatman

Making Friends

• Members
  • 51 posts
but i use adren so much and its so fun to kick butt in small areas or corridors plz change that rule plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

PROWND

PROWND

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 803 posts
Good stuff Medi

---------------------

I use knife on the side of people to get there health low enough to heal them at a sliver of health. If you knife em in the back, they die, so knife in the side. Shooting makes too much noise. If you r gonna use knife to dmg then heal, you might wanna show a needle first, so they dont think its a cov or sumthin.

When a clueless teammate runs away from a medic trying to heal them, and they arent realizing it, then it may be time to tk revive them with a bullet or too.

Experienced players that are damaged while playing as other than medic, know to stand still to be healed.

So it should be said that you can and should purposely briefly hurt a teammate to get their health low enough to needle them to full health, versus throwing packs to them.

TooL

TooL

• Old retired farts
  • 1,907 posts
"Medivak’s guide to being a good medic who heals good and stuff "

Lol I love the title. Good stuff.

CrankDatBatman

CrankDatBatman

Making Friends

• Members
  • 51 posts
you can also keep the teammates body as a shield until the spawn shield times out so you can switch weapons and stuff.

Hornet8819

Hornet8819

Postin Ain't Easy

• Members
  • 740 posts
QUOTE(CrankDatBatman @ May 22 2008, 12:18 AM) View Post
you can also keep the teammates body as a shield until the spawn shield times out so you can switch weapons and stuff.

don't count on that too much on b. You'd be amazed at how many people will try to screw you over by tapping a second before you hit them with your needle.

Jeff

Jeff

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 116 posts
Great guide Medivak! Its nice to read all these suggestions and realize that some people are still aware of how to do it right! I've found that there are very few people who know how to play medic the real way these days, and those that do aren't even recognized. I'm referring to regulars like Blackdragon, A-train and The Merv, who follow this guide perfectly, getting huge numbers of revives, but few realize it. I like to get in fireteams with them because I know that if I revive them and die they WILL be returning the favor, and we'll get that push that Medivak talked about.

I'm always amazed at how many people go for kills first, then revive as an afterthought. The only time I'll do that is when I'm pretty sure that the enemy is really weakened, and I can kill him then revive the guy without being shot.

And prowned, I completely agree with your point about people running off. So many people say "I need a medic!" but don't care enough to actually look for a medic. I'm never sure if I should tk revive or not, so I usually chase them around. What I do is say I need a medic, and when I find one, I crouch to show that I'm not going to move on them. This makes it much easier for the person to help you.

Thanks for taking the time to write that Medivak! We should sticky this or something so we can refer people to it who don't know what they're doing smile.gif

edit: 420, that's a great point about approaching wounded teammates on an angle. I don't consider that enough while reviving, but it definitely makes sense.

Edited by Jeff, 22 May 2008 - 03:45 PM.

CrankDatBatman

CrankDatBatman

Making Friends

• Members
  • 51 posts
ya hornet usually i hate that but sometimes they are warning you that they see an enemy. but when ur about to revive them and they tap out then some enemy rounds the corner argh i feel like strangling someone.

ll420ll

ll420ll

On The Road To Success

• Members
  • 123 posts
Great Guide Medi!!!

Medivak

Medivak

• Old retired farts
  • 1,790 posts
QUOTE(ll420ll @ May 19 2008, 12:12 AM) View Post
I don't think I read this in your guide, might have missed it.
Depending on the angle that you revive your teammate, that angle controls the direction they face when rising.
This is especially useful when reviving mates w/ panzers or, Rnades.

Try to hit them at an angle so that when revived they will be facing enemy.
So even so they might frozen, the can still shoot back in enemies direction.

I didn't know this. Can you explain in it more detail?

Thanks.

Chr0n

Chr0n

Hi, My Name Is..

• Members
  • 9 posts
Nice guide, good to see, that people still know how it's done.

Hate it, when you're defending objectives, then someone runs straight into the enemy and cries for medic - then when you'r finally there he just presses space.

I think you can heal w/ needle w/o TK if Health is <1/4. Correct if wrong.

That's true on NoQuarter, however, I've seen a lot of people in those 2 days since I'm here, that keep running away from you, so the easier way is a quick shot between the eyes and then give them the needle. And there is that advantage that you can use them as a shield, which is not possible, when reviving them on low hp.

Albuz

Albuz

Still Considered a Newbie

• Members
  • 47 posts
Do not TK revive covert ops in stolen uniforms, because they lose it and will hate you.

they will love you coz you as a med can revive after tk and if youre not going to tk them they will meet an engi who will get em in long
Snipers should be your last priority. Maybe there is a l33t sniper really helping your boys out, but I doubt it. I basically don’t heal snipers, because when I do, I just feel guilty that I’m not in a position to do something more productive.

you should hide behind sniper and give him a lot of med packs that way you will live longer and you will earn a lot of xp!!!!
Get a 5 button mouse

naaah there is no need for that, at school i played on mac on 1 button mose specialy made for US guys!
For good medics, the glory is in reviving fallen comrades.

NO WAY! dont revive! NEVER! just runrunrunrun and killlllllllllllllll and gibgibgibgibgibgibgibgibgibgibgibgibgibgibgibgib and be loved for top stats in the end!!!!

just my thoughts... :D

Edited by Albuz, 05 January 2009 - 11:08 AM.