Check us out:

Photo
- - - - -

what is traceroute / tracert and how do I use it?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

peyote

peyote
  • Server:Bunker #2
Click to view battle stats
The traceroute utility checks how many "hops" (transfers through other computers on a network) it takes for your computer to contact another computer. You can use traceroute if you know the other computer's IP address, web site address, or name.

How to use it:
WINDOWS

Start the command shell,
  • Windows Vista
    From the Start menu, in the search field, type cmd , and then press Enter.
  • Previous versions
    From the Start menu, select Run... . In the "Open:" box, type cmd (Windows NT, 2000, and XP) or command (Windows 95, 98, and Me), and then press Enter.
At the prompt, type tracert hostname.com (replacing hostname.com with the domain you wish to trace) and you will get the path to that hostname.

OSX
Click on the "Network Utility" icon within the "Utilities" folder, then click on the "traceroute" tab.
With Terminal:
OS X comes with an app named Terminal which gives you full access to the BSD shell.
At the prompt, type traceroute hostname.com (replacing hostname.com with the domain you wish to trace) and you will get the path to that hostname.

LINUX
Open a terminal, and
type traceroute hostname.com (replacing hostname.com with the domain you wish to trace) and you will get the path to that hostname.

Copy paste the output to wherever you needed too, or make a screenshot from screen, I dont know the various flavours for copy paste from each terminal.
you can try todo append ' > mytracert.txt', should work fine on osx and linux, but I don't know for Windows.
would look like,
traceroute bunker2.aaxxss.com > trace_b2.txt
and then I will get in my home folder or in which ever directory the shell was active, the file trace_b2.txt which can be opened by any text program.

solewu

solewu

Sticking Around

• Old retired farts
  • 1,034 posts
  • Server:Bunker #4
i'm wondering..
what's the use of traceroute?

TheDragon

TheDragon

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • Server:Bunker #10
@ sole, it shows the route from your system to the gaming server. Sometimes you'll find a bizzare path to a server or find that some nodes are bad at certain times.

heres a sample from me
CODE
Tracing route to bunker.aaxxss.com [216.218.222.172]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     *        *        *     Request timed out.

2     9 ms     7 ms     7 ms  68.85.186.81

3    10 ms     8 ms     8 ms  te-8-1-ur01.gloucester.ma.boston.comcast.net [68.87.146.186]

4    19 ms    11 ms    11 ms  te-0-13-0-0-crs01.woburn.ma.boston.comcast.net [68.87.146.190]

5    13 ms    13 ms    14 ms  po-16-ar01.berlin.ct.hartford.comcast.net [68.87.146.50]

6    15 ms    19 ms    14 ms  be-10-ar99.chartford.ct.hartford.comcast.net [68.87.146.29]

7    17 ms    17 ms    17 ms  pos-2-3-0-0-cr01.newyork.ny.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.90.57]

8    16 ms    18 ms    17 ms  tengigabitethernet2-3.ar5.NYC1.gblx.net [64.211.60.129]

9   104 ms   103 ms   103 ms  Hurrican-Electric-LLC.TenGigabitEthernet1-4.ar2.SJC2.gblx.net [64.214.174.246]

10   104 ms   103 ms   105 ms  10gigabitethernet1-1.core1.fmt1.he.net [72.52.92.109]

11   104 ms   103 ms   105 ms  bunker.aaxxss.com [216.218.222.172]

Trace complete.
Now you'll notice I had a time out on the first hop, that would relate to a bad lag spike but a quick one. Currently this route is not too long (10 hops) and a ping of about 105

You'll also see that it goes south west from me to boston, to harford, to newyork, then east across the pond to the server

hope that helps explain it.

Edited by TheDragon, 15 June 2009 - 09:44 PM.

solewu

solewu

Sticking Around

• Old retired farts
  • 1,034 posts
  • Server:Bunker #4
well i kind of know what it does,
and your point is clear emot_smile.gif
but what can you do with that information?
you can't change the route can you?

SaeVio

SaeVio

Becoming a Part of the Forum

• Members
  • 484 posts
  • Server:Bunker #2
As far as I know, this can be used to detect whether lag is server-sided or client-sided (e.g. when you say "This server lags!" but tracert shows you 69 hops it's not the server)

TheDragon

TheDragon

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • Server:Bunker #10
the lagometer
/cg_lagometer 1 to turn on 0 to turn off
will show if the lag is server or client side