- - - - -

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory Goes Open Source

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

peyote

peyote
  • Server:Bunker #2
Click to view battle stats
Yesterday at the Quakecon Carmack made his words come true, and released he Wolfenstein:Enemy-Territory source code..
Another great day to be an ET player!

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory Goes Open Source
RTCW and Enemy Territory GPL source release

Here my outlook on what might being done with it..
First off I believe some chaos will start, many will start hacking around with the code, a quality thing should work on all plattforms.. so at least some way to measure the quality. There are already some projects resembling Enemy-Territory, but as far as I know none of these does target compatibility - so all our loved maps would be not working. Now with this release, we might see some basic features like MP3 support (smaller filesizes), maybe Mumble (Like Ventrilo but better integrated into the game), and hopefully some improvements from ioquake3 taken over to ET - which should improve performance of the game extremely for old hardware - but aswel for new.

One thing is sure ET can't die now... we have its blueprints; everything can be done now. As nice as that might sound its also a pitfall, many things are already good - and do not need to be changed - There is no need for Enemy-Territory 2. Just improve what is already there..

I truly hope there will build up a community working together, sharing their knowledge and improving ET. As its released under GPL that should happen, but I fear there will be many forks which will split up the community even more.

Someone said cheaters will go wild again, that might be the case but only until some a fresh compile of ET has been done of some group like ETPUB. Cause there are various ways to make cheating harder, this was impossible until now for modders - now it is, that does not prevent private coders from unleashing their diarrhea ... but every known hack till today could be successfully blocked and future hacks have it way more difficult.

Edited by peyote, 13 August 2010 - 01:22 PM.
Add my opinion - as requested :)

onyxgamer

onyxgamer

Postin Ain't Easy

• Bunker Admins
  • 722 posts
lets see what the NQ developers will do with this..

*CapTn*

*CapTn*

Will Become Famous Soon Enough

• Members
  • 1,923 posts
  • Steam:captn3
  • Server:Bunker #1
wow nice to see this makes me happy and giddy all over!!!!

and to think splash damage is hireing wow .. looking in to that lol.

they finally gave in ..wowowowowow.

now lets see what these et freaks can pull out there hats for us all to enjoy hope they dont mess it all up.im sure some one will. dled the file thanks peyote for this .. :kissing2:

Edited by *CapTn*, 14 August 2010 - 12:03 AM.

I_R_NATAN

I_R_NATAN

Becoming a Part of the Forum

• Bunker Members
  • 253 posts
very exciting news, hopefully some good things come out of this

SaeVio

SaeVio

• Members
  • 484 posts
Little side note 'cause I know peyote posted this here, one thing has already been done with the ET source, uv-hannes` has coded an improved client ETTV can use and you will be able to see through smoke, remove foliage on radar, also ambientscale is now unlocked

note: this is a tweak to a bugged feature in ettv!

Posted Image

Edited by SaeVio, 14 August 2010 - 04:34 PM.

JeyAem

JeyAem

Postin Ain't Easy

• Members
  • 521 posts
i dont really see any good coming out of this but i guess thats mostly since i prefere etpro and i doubt that anyone would code a new usefull version of it. maybe some bugfixing that would be nice already

*CapTn*

*CapTn*

Will Become Famous Soon Enough

• Members
  • 1,923 posts
  • Steam:captn3
yeah i bet the programmers who sell hacks for et all got a big chubby when they seen that.
i agree jay probably just gonna be a mess.

JeyAem

JeyAem

Postin Ain't Easy

• Members
  • 521 posts

yeah i bet the programmers who sell hacks for et all got a big chubby when they seen that.

idk.. as far as i know there are already like 5 million hax.. i doubt the free availeble source code would do much more to it.
but there is at least one "nice news" so far : http://www.crossfire...de=item&id=6098

mandinghino

mandinghino

Ding is Dong

• Bunker Members
  • 229 posts
PLease forgive my ignorance on the matter but can Enemy Territory be modularized in as changes and improvements come along can they be put into smaller packages or do we have to download the whole version to benefit from the change?

Edited by mandinghino, 16 August 2010 - 09:11 AM.

JeyAem

JeyAem

Postin Ain't Easy

• Members
  • 521 posts

PLease forgive my ignorance on the matter but can Enemy Territory be modularized in as changes and improvements come along can they be put into smaller packages or do we have to download the whole version to benefit from the change?

if they change something with the code it will most likly be another version of the mod. so nothing big. just like a new jaymod version or et 2.6c something like that.

its just that with this open code u CAN change more in the mod then u could before. which might help to solve bugs.

XVX

XVX

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • Server:Unselected
It is a mixed bag. Now someone can write some code to actually test for the rsHook hack, but of course, they can also make it better now.

I'd like to see something like they did with Duke Nukem and completely overhaul the game and modernize the graphics.

JeyAem

JeyAem

Postin Ain't Easy

• Members
  • 521 posts

It is a mixed bag. Now someone can write some code to actually test for the rsHook hack, but of course, they can also make it better now.

I'd like to see something like they did with Duke Nukem and completely overhaul the game and modernize the graphics.

then check my link mr :P

Cupra

Cupra

Postin Ain't Easy

• Bunker Members
  • 688 posts
  • Server:Bunker #42
Hopefully chalpja can now code SLAC-public :) and get rid of the laggy shit PB

JoeShooter

JoeShooter

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 147 posts
WET source has been out for a long time (years?), the difference appears to be that it's now licensed as open source.

mandinghino

mandinghino

Ding is Dong

• Bunker Members
  • 229 posts

if they change something with the code it will most likly be another version of the mod. so nothing big. just like a new jaymod version or et 2.6c something like that.

its just that with this open code u CAN change more in the mod then u could before. which might help to solve bugs.

Thanks JeyAem, you're always helpful as usual. Maybe you can HELP me this too LOL! :cheers:

Viking

Viking

• Old retired farts
  • 445 posts

idk.. as far as i know there are already like 5 million hax.. i doubt the free availeble source code would do much more to it.
but there is at least one "nice news" so far : http://www.crossfire...de=item&id=6098

W O W ! ! ! ! ! I Can't wait! I can't wait! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I guess I need to follow this and help with bugreports :D :D

MADDAD

MADDAD

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 1,131 posts

do it V...or better yet i betya mortice from BSD primers is already working on it...

hairless

hairless

Hi, My Name Is..

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Server:Minecraft
The access code of Core is Free for many years.

Looking: http://icculus.org/alienarena/rpa/ for example.

Quake C it´s good. Preserve time don´t reinvent the weels.
Anyone can be say if artwork is free too or only engine is free?

For work improviment anyone need center the code development on project on reps like: google code or sourceforge.
Mp3 will be supported by Lame MP3? It´s good make support for ogg vorbis files because ogg is really open source.
And smaller then wav files.

The code can be conflict with GPL. For this rason many mp3 support on most linux distros is out of Free reps.
Mp3 code and plugins is on non-free reps.

So exited to put my hands on code. But need prodution many minds working on it. On centred SVN/CVS rep.

peyote

peyote
The media is not Open Source, it is basically same as with Quake 3 Arena, yet as ET is free, you can have one install ET and give him a new client exe.. So its possible to use the existing Material indirectly, as you are not allowed to repackage ET.

Highbrid

Highbrid

Postin Ain't Easy

• Members
  • 562 posts
  • Server:Unselected
ETLive and ET ported into the Xreal engine are also projects that should soon be on their way soon. ETLive could offer flawless bullet reg like QuakeLive and Xreal would bring amazing graphics too the game.