35 replies to this topic

Defender

Defender

Becoming a Part of the Forum

• Bunker Members
  • 399 posts
  • Server:Unselected
Click to view battle stats

There is a common misconception about scripts because of the simple fact that when someone is playing very well an uninformed individual always say's he is using scripts, yet the player saying this has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. The word just keeps getting ignorantly passed along to make up for someone not being able to understand how a player can play that way in till the word itself takes on a hole new meaning. In this case "scripting" has taken on the same meaning as cheating to most.

But Highbrid, excuse this fairly innocent question, but, why do you operate (and many others) scripting - isn't it to gain advantage (at the expense of how the gameplay looks on your computer screen)?

Nobody is questioning that your skill level in map knowledge, gameplay knowledge, mouse conrtrol etc. is not high. I think these are good skills that you have naturally.

It's just, from my view, I question controversy like this read in the forum (or spotting some conversation in gameplay), and wonder what it's all about. The very fact, for example, that little/no gun recoil is banned in script adjusting is because it gives unfair advantage..

Oh, and G0rt did/does have a big annoyance with you regarding experiencing, first hand, bad attitude towards Bunkergaming and Admins in general (and whoever else).

Edited by Defender, 31 October 2010 - 09:47 AM.

Hawk109

Hawk109

Will Become Famous Soon Enough

• Old retired farts
  • 2,342 posts

i only get 40 procent acc or more when i use my precious sten :P

it aims almost automatically
its like someone else shoots
I have practiced a long time with it so i can use it properly and pretty decent!

I guess that is a sign of true love ::kissing2: :But I and u know whom still believe you cheated.

Edited by Hawk109, 31 October 2010 - 09:28 AM.

Highbrid

Highbrid

Postin Ain't Easy

• Members
  • 562 posts

But Highbrid, excuse this fairly innocent question, but, why do you operate (and many others) scripting - isn't it to gain advantage (at the expense of how the gameplay looks on your computer screen)?[/size]

Again, you are using the word "scripting" with out fulling understanding what it is. If you read through my config then you'll see 9 out of 10 scripts do things like change my cross hair color, start and stop a demo with the same key, turn on and off my lagometer, and other simple non game play things. None of my scripts effect my shooting in any way and cause an unfair advantage. They are all settings in your ESC menu I have bound to keys.

Defender

Defender

• Bunker Members
  • 399 posts
I personally don't have much of a problem with those simple quick adjustments. But if there is just one good/bad fix that gives a distinct advantage, then in situations, it will have an impact on the outcome of the map campaign.

Hawk109

Hawk109

Will Become Famous Soon Enough

• Old retired farts
  • 2,342 posts

I personally don't have much of a problem with those simple quick adjustments. But if there is just one good/bad fix that gives a distinct advantage, then in situations, it will have an impact on the outcome of the map campaign.

Defender most players are happy share their configs since, and as said by High, urself and others, u need to train and have a talent to be in top class. I think there are sites were people are collecting various configs but be carefull when aplying since not all are ok.

To summarize all and everbody can tweak so there is not secrets in that respect and often it is tweaking for comfort or for fps (stability) since not all have super machines etc etc.

Cheers

TheDragon

TheDragon

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • Server:Bunker #10
Defender, scripts are minor tweeks or code blocks that do nifty things for you, the player. The don't really 'improve' game play but make some tasks easier. I've many scripts (mostly for wild west) that do various taskes.

I've a gun toggle that swaps heavy weapon (weaponbank7) with rifle (weaponbank3) with just the 3 key (7 key is a stretch in a fire fight for me)

I've a 2 button class weapons toggle script that I can run while gaming (using echo script) so I can change class/weapon, notify team mates of my change with out the time of going into limbo menu and team chatting.

You can get real creative with scripting making use of the various move commands, but here again they don't 'improve' game play.

I did a 'chicken dance' script once (ran about 45 seconds utilizing every move/shoot/executable script possible) that also doubled as something to keep my 'character' moving randomly and thus harder to kill durring a quick bathroom break. I'd just hit it 2-3 times for a 1:30/2:15 long zip to the loo.

I also did a script that would do the entire beach map if you were an allie. This was also an interesting 'programing' project I and a friend did years back. If you were and eng and you executed it, it would plant at both doors, grab flag, run down to gold, and go to exit.

One might think that such a script was a cheat, but it's not. For one thing once you execute a script you are locked into it until it ends. Also should anything interupt your character while it is executing then you are knocked off mark. i.e. one push or block for 1 second will have you miss the next turn ect.

Say I ran my 'chicken dance 3 times but came back in less than a minute, I'm stuck watching me do it untill the 3rd rendition is over. One must also be careful when making such scripts as a +attack in a script with no -attack afterwards will leave you shooting all weapons until you are stuck with a ticking nade that will kill you. and there's nothing you can do about it but re script it after you die.

Defender

Defender

• Bunker Members
  • 399 posts
Hi TheDragon,

Thanks for explaining to me some technical things written into your scripting. I agree with the simple convenient changes - to help an already good player do the serious tasks more efficiently. But I'm certainly out of my depth when it comes to knowing what is acceptable within rules, and what isn't. It's up to people like you - who have clear thinking when under pressure - to set what is acceptable in the course of gameplay in order to win a map/s reasonably fairly. There is a freewill for many, many years with this adjusting of scripts and worse things (like hacking). I know that you responsively try though to keep things straight forward, well done with your efforts. We two are very different in life though - you are clever, deep thinking, handle clear thinking under pressure, all very good attributes that are needed for work, sport, or even real strategy in real warfare! Whereas I'm limited by my inabilities. But honesty, fairness and keeping things simple are good attributes too.

So I hope that you can understand that some people are limited with how clever they can be, with their speed of reactions, and ability to contribute to a team. And some people should be limited if they are too clever for the rules. (not you hopefully though!)

Regards.

Edited by Defender, 01 November 2010 - 12:02 AM.

TheDragon

TheDragon

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 1,198 posts
All my scripts are free to anyone that wishes to try them out. I think I posted them here somewhere. As for ET scripts I've a few but most are old RtCW and wildwest scripts (though usable or convertable to ET)

As I said above, some are useful, some have little to no purpose (I've a 'singing shark' {think sleazy vegas loung singer/serial killer} that has nothing but entertainment factor).

So if you wish, ask and I shall provide.

(warn ya make a backup of your config file BEFORE modifying any scripts) thats the easiest way to restore from a 'broken script')

Defender

Defender

• Bunker Members
  • 399 posts
I'm not doing anything too technical, just plain old me, against all odds! :weakbench:

I don't like sharks, but your one sounds interesting if solely in a comedy game map. I wouldn't be able to get used to it though as I would start to laugh, and if I was to have a drink, I may not be able to stop laughing - and that is not good for ones' aim. :Lightbulb:

Regards.

Edited by Defender, 01 November 2010 - 10:24 PM.

TheDragon

TheDragon

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 1,198 posts
Def, next time I see you on I'll fire up the shark script (actually the >shArk :o ) so you can get a glimps at what just 2-3 keys can do.

Defender

Defender

• Bunker Members
  • 399 posts
I can hear the Jaws music. Nah, don't do it, it is not worth it . LOL!

It would only be suitable for a jokey map. Can you see some real players and some robots try to shoot a shark? I suppose head shots don't matter, it's FIn shots that count!

peyote

peyote
  • Server:Bunker #2
Its not an easy to answer question, what is an unfair advantage and what not. Well everyone knows what is unfair - normally.. but from a technical viewpoint seems difficult to me.

In my opinion, a script is then an unfair advantage when it allows to modify in way which it was not intended.

The anti-recoil script is a good example, the game has built in a recoil, now some scripts managed to remove that completely. Obviously that was not the idea of the game.
180 turning script imho is a bit different, I can that turn 180 very quick without a script, and when lucky enough with proper aiming and all, so such a script is no good for me.. it takes control away.
Just have a good mouse and enough space. So imho we can allow it.. as it is not an unfair advantage, its maybe an advantage - maybe not - depends a bit on you.
Similar are the 100's of cvars allowing to configure the game. While there is some missconception.. lol, ET is a akward game .. while similar games perform a 100x better on same pc, ET even makes troubles to modern PC's (in special cases .. lol). So on one hand configuring et to use less processing power is mostly a good idea.. since the more fps you have the more action you perceive of the game - more splitseconds to see.
Another thing is that it is possible to make the view more calm, less fuzzy so that you can concentrate on the enemy better. Less stuff disturbing the view.
That is a spot where opinions drift in different directions.. I for example like a clean tactical view, I wished for glowing skins like in Quake 3 pro modes and ueber simple textures.
Others wish for a very realistic view, e.g. you can hide behind a tree, you can hide in a dark spot and so on, kinda camouflaged by the map.
But that im my opinion is not really possible in ET, due to the given liberty of configuration, there is a ton which can be disabled (in the original ET).

With scripts you can do the following, each action you do in the game is based on a command, those commands can be bundled together in a script.
So if you for example want a different crosshair for each weapon, well without scripts that would be a pita.

D'uh I guess I add to the confusion.. lol..

QuQu

QuQu

Postin Ain't Easy

• Bunker Admins
  • 720 posts
  • Server:Bunker #4
Advantages....
Game is 8yo, would be fair we all play in thoustimes PC-s :D was that pentium3 ?
U may gain advantage also with great headset, good mouse/keyboard/monitor ect. U can get it not.
Most depends on player, cfg or PC wont play. How he set hes tools up, its hes business - as long its legal to common sense.
Im kind a old, my damn ACC is 30-40 last years now. I wont get better - only worse by time . But i see no problem as long game is fun.
Just need to accept, that some ppl are better in shooting and some become (tho they still starting ET) .....baah, graveyard talk ;)
Im not seeing advantage taking ppl allover me..quess its just attitude. Sure i do look sometimes how ppl aim or what they do - just in case. Im not hoping too find anything.

I use some scripts. Only what i can say is usefull and give lil advantage (against complete beginner) is quick-arty, other is not exactly "combat" related.
Sad, that enemy-territory.4players.de is down, it had nice Ivo scriptbin (collection more/less usefull scripts ). If u search, try SL forum. Nicely explaned ect..
Sure there are more pages, I dont know them and dont need really. Ader10 had hes hax_look_like ;) cfg uploaded here , but that gone too. I have copy, I think he allow me to share it - if u wanna.

Defender

Defender

• Bunker Members
  • 399 posts
hmm

Bill

Bill

Postin Ain't Easy

• Bunker Admins
  • 540 posts
  • Server:Bunker #1
I think you just have to look at things individually and decide whether you want them in the game or not. I don't think you can say "scripts" are good/bad, it's too vague.

For example, the 180 script is not a big deal, I don't think. I still make fun of EZFrag when he does it though. :pumpkin:

On the other hand, I think turning off smoke/explosions, etc. is annoying. Especially to a new guy. I play with particles on, but if I'm getting shot by someone hiding in smoke or behind explosions then I turn them off. New players might just leave instead and play somewhere else. If your computer can't handle it fine, but try not to exploit it... If your computer can't show the smoke then stay away from the smokey places.

TheDragon

TheDragon

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 1,198 posts

I can hear the Jaws music. Nah, don't do it, it is not worth it . LOL!

It would only be suitable for a jokey map. Can you see some real players and some robots try to shoot a shark? I suppose head shots don't matter, it's FIn shots that count!

o.k. I just have to share it now (you'll see the intro to the personality is the 'jaws theme' :D )

And folks respect. This personality is one of my personal ones (yes I'm a gaming schitzoprenic) view it for learning and entertainment but please don't inpersonate me with it.

This is the shorter 10 song version of the shark. I've a longer version (that just keeps getting longer when I hear apropriate music.)
Note all the major actions are with just 3 keys, a class weapons bind could also be done with just a few keys.
// Singing Shark personality and song listing
// sole personality of El Dragon (please do not use)
// Keys:
// UPARROW - cycles the songs in my song list
// DOWNARROW - anounces the next song to be sung
// MOUSE3 - sings the song (line by line as you hit mouse 3)
exec bind.cfg
wait 50
seta name "^2 >shArk"
// sharks activate keys:
bind MOUSE3 "vstr mk1"
bind UPARROW "vstr sn2"
bind KP_END "say ^4 Thank you very much, you've been a lovely audience.  No more encores I really must leave"
bind F9 "say ^4L^2O^4L"
// sharks theme music
wait 200
say "^4..duuum..DUUUM"
wait 200
say "^4......duuum..DUUUM"
wait 200
say "^4..dum..DUM..dum..DUM"
wait 200
say "^4.dum.DUM.dum.DUM.dum.DUM"
// Song Rotation:
set sn1 "bind MOUSE3 vstr mk1;bind UPARROW vstr sn2;bind DOWNARROW vstr si1;echo ^4Mack the Knife"
set sn2 "bind MOUSE3 vstr bd1;bind UPARROW vstr sn3;bind DOWNARROW vstr si2;echo ^4Another one bites the dust"
set sn3 "bind MOUSE3 vstr moz1;bind UPARROW vstr sn4;bind DOWNARROW vstr si3;echo ^4Dies Irae"
set sn4 "bind MOUSE3 vstr IM1;bind UPARROW vstr sn5;bind DOWNARROW vstr si4;echo ^4Trooper"
set sn5 "bind MOUSE3 vstr MP1;bind UPARROW vstr sn6;bind DOWNARROW vstr si5;echo ^4Master of puppets"
set sn6 "bind MOUSE3 vstr sd1;bind UPARROW vstr sn7;bind DOWNARROW vstr si6;echo ^4Sympathy for the devil"
set sn7 "bind MOUSE3 vstr sm1;bind UPARROW vstr sn8;bind DOWNARROW vstr si7;echo ^4How soon is now"
set sn8 "bind MOUSE3 vstr tr1;bind UPARROW vstr sn9;bind DOWNARROW vstr si8;echo ^4The Reaper"
set sn9 "bind MOUSE3 vstr wp1;bind UPARROW vstr sn10;bind DOWNARROW vstr si9;echo ^4War Pigs"
set sn10 "bind MOUSE3 vstr dog1;bind UPARROW vstr sn1;bind DOWNARROW vstr si10;echo ^4Dogs"

set si1 "say ^2 and for my next number, that classic, ^1Mack the knife ^2:D"
set si2 "say ^2 ... thank you very much and for my next number ^1 Another one bites the dust^4, by ^1Queen"
set si3 "say ^2 Now for some culture:  Mozarts Dies Irae ^7(Day of Wrath)"
set si4 "say ^2 o.k.  It's time to rock out with Iron Maidens 'Trooper'"
set si5 "say ^2 Now it's time to bang our heads to 'Master of Puppets' by Metallica"
set si6 "say ^2 and now a clasic, 'Sympathy for the devil' by the Rolling Stones"
set si7 "say ^2 Time for some 80's music, 'How soon is now' by the Smiths"
set si8 "say ^2 and now, 'The Reaper', by Blue Oyster Cult"
set si9 "say ^2 Lets all get down to 'War Pigs' by Black Sabbath"
set si10 "say ^2 for my next number, that happy tune by Pink Floyd: 'Dogs' "

// Song listings:
// Mack the Knife
set mk1 "bind MOUSE3 vstr mk2; say ^4   Oh the Shark ^1Dear,"
set mk2 "bind MOUSE3 vstr mk3; say ^4   Has big Teeth ^1Dear^4,"
set mk3 "bind MOUSE3 vstr mk4; say ^4   And his Teeth are,... ^7Purly White^4."
set mk4 "bind MOUSE3 vstr mk5; say ^4   Oh the line forms,"
set mk5 "bind MOUSE3 vstr mk6; say ^4   On the right, ^1Dear^4,"
set mk6 "bind MOUSE3 vstr mk1; say ^4   Now that Mackey's,...  Back in town."
// Another one bites the dust
set bd1 "bind MOUSE3 vstr bd2; say ^1 Steve ^4walks warily down the street, with the brim pulled way down low" 
set bd2 "bind MOUSE3 vstr bd3; say ^4 Ain't no sound but the sound of his feet, machine guns ready to go"
set bd3 "bind MOUSE3 vstr bd4; say ^4 Are you ready, Are you ready for this? Are you hanging on the edge of your seat?" 
set bd4 "bind MOUSE3 vstr bd5; say ^4 Out of the doorway the ^1bullets rip^4, To the sound of the beat" 
set bd5 "bind MOUSE3 vstr bd6; say ^7(bomp, bomp, bomp)^4 Another one bites the dust" 
set bd6 "bind MOUSE3 vstr bd7; say ^7(bomp, bomp, bomp)^4 Another one bites the dust"
set bd7 "bind MOUSE3 vstr bd8; say ^4 And another one gone, and another one gone, Another one bites the dust" 
set bd8 "bind MOUSE3 vstr bd1; say ^4 Hey, I'm gonna get ^1you ^4too, another one bites the dust" 
// Dies Irae - Mozart
set moz1 "bind MOUSE3 vstr moz2; say ^4 Dies irae, dies illa ^7(The day of wrath, that day)"
set moz2 "bind MOUSE3 vstr moz3; say ^4 solvet saeclum in favilla, ^7(which will reduce the world to ashes,)"
set moz3 "bind MOUSE3 vstr moz4; say ^4 teste David cum Sybilla. ^7(as foretold by David and the Sybil.)"
set moz4 "bind MOUSE3 vstr moz5; say ^4 Quantus tremor est futurus, ^7(What terror there will be,)"
set moz5 "bind MOUSE3 vstr moz6; say ^4 quando judex est venturus, ^7(when the Lord will come)"
set moz6 "bind MOUSE3 vstr moz1; say ^4 cuncta stricte discussurus. ^7(to judge all rigorously!)"
// Trooper - Iron Maiden
set IM1 "bind MOUSE3 vstr IM2; say ^4 Youll take my life but Ill take yours too"
set IM2 "bind MOUSE3 vstr IM3; say ^4 Youll fire you musket but Ill run you through"
set IM3 "bind MOUSE3 vstr IM4; say ^4 So when your waiting for the next attack"
set IM4 "bind MOUSE3 vstr IM5; say ^4 Youd better stand theres no turning back"
set IM5 "bind MOUSE3 vstr IM6; say ^4 The bugle sounds as the charge begins"
set IM6 "bind MOUSE3 vstr IM7; say ^4 But on this battlefield no one wins"
set IM7 "bind MOUSE3 vstr IM8; say ^4 The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath"
set IM8 "bind MOUSE3 vstr IM1; say ^4 As you plunge into a certain death"
//Master of Puppets - Metalica
set MP1 "bind MOUSE3 vstr MP2; say ^4 Master of Puppets I'm pulling your strings"
set MP2 "bind MOUSE3 vstr MP3; say ^4 Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams"
set MP3 "bind MOUSE3 vstr MP4; say ^4 Blinded by me, you can't see a thing"
set MP4 "bind MOUSE3 vstr MP5; say ^4 Just call my name, 'cause I'll hear you scream"
set MP5 "bind MOUSE3 vstr MP1; say ^4 ....Master .....Master"
//Sympathy for the devil - Rolling Stones
set sd1 "bind MOUSE3 vstr sd2; say ^4 Please allow me to introduce myself, Im a man of wealth and taste"
set sd2 "bind MOUSE3 vstr sd3; say ^4 Ive been around for a long, long year, Stole many a mans soul and faith"
set sd3 "bind MOUSE3 vstr sd4; say ^4 And I was round when jesus christ, Had his moment of doubt and pain"
set sd4 "bind MOUSE3 vstr sd5; say ^4 Made damn sure that pilate, Washed his hands and sealed his fate"
set sd5 "bind MOUSE3 vstr sd6; say ^4 Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name"
set sd6 "bind MOUSE3 vstr sd1; say ^4 But whats puzzling you, Is the nature of my game"
//How soon is now - Smiths
set sm1 "bind MOUSE3 vstr sm2; say ^4 I am the son, and the heir"
set sm2 "bind MOUSE3 vstr sm3; say ^4 of a shyness that is criminally vulgar"
set sm3 "bind MOUSE3 vstr sm4; say ^4 I am the son and heir of nothing in particular"
set sm4 "bind MOUSE3 vstr sm5; say ^4 You shut your mouth how can you say"
set sm5 "bind MOUSE3 vstr sm6; say ^4 I go about things the wrong way"
set sm6 "bind MOUSE3 vstr sm7; say ^4 I am human and I need to be loved"
set sm7 "bind MOUSE3 vstr sm1; say ^4 just like everybody else does"
// The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
set tr1 "bind MOUSE3 vstr tr2; say ^4 Seasons don't fear the reaper"
set tr2 "bind MOUSE3 vstr tr3; say ^4 Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain...  We can be like they are"
set tr3 "bind MOUSE3 vstr tr4; say ^4 Come on baby... ^2Don't fear the Reaper"
set tr4 "bind MOUSE3 vstr tr5; say ^4 Baby take my hand... ^2Don't fear the Reaper"
set tr5 "bind MOUSE3 vstr tr6; say ^4 We'll be able to fly... ^2Don't fear the Reaper"
set tr6 "bind MOUSE3 vstr tr1; say ^4 Baby I'm your man..."
//War Pigs - Black Sabath
set wp1 "bind MOUSE3 vstr wp2; say ^4 Generals gathered in their masses, Just like witches at black masses"
set wp2 "bind MOUSE3 vstr wp3; say ^4 Evil minds that plot destruction, Sorcerers of deaths construction"
set wp3 "bind MOUSE3 vstr wp4; say ^4 In the fields the bodies burning, As the war machine keeps turning"
set wp4 "bind MOUSE3 vstr wp5; say ^4 Death and hatred to mankind, Poisoning their brainwashed minds, oh lord yeah!"
set wp5 "bind MOUSE3 vstr wp6; say ^1 (buh-duh.....Dom dom dom...Dom)"
set wp6 "bind MOUSE3 vstr wp7; say ^4 Now in darkness, world stops turning, As the war machine keeps burning"
set wp7 "bind MOUSE3 vstr wp8; say ^4 No more war pigs of the power, Hand of God has sturck the hour"
set wp8 "bind MOUSE3 vstr wp9; say ^4 Day of judgement, God is calling, On their knees, the war pigs crawling"
set wp9 "bind MOUSE3 vstr wp0; say ^4 Begging mercy for their sins, Satan, laughing, spreads his wings, All right now!"
set wp0 "bind MOUSE3 vstr wp1; say ^1 (buh-duh.....Dom dom dom...Dom)"
//Dogs - Pink Floyd
set dog1 "bind MOUSE3 vstr dog2; say ^4 You gotta be crazy, you gotta have a real need"
set dog2 "bind MOUSE3 vstr dog3; say ^4 You gotta sleep on your toes, and when you're on the street"
set dog3 "bind MOUSE3 vstr dog4; say ^4 You gotta be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed"
set dog4 "bind MOUSE3 vstr dog5; say ^4 And then moving in silently, down wind and out of sight"
set dog5 "bind MOUSE3 vstr dog6; say ^4 You gotta strike when the moment is right without thinking."
set dog6 "bind MOUSE3 vstr dog7; say ^4 And after a while, you can work on points for style"
set dog7 "bind MOUSE3 vstr dog8; say ^4 Like the club tie, and the firm handshake"
set dog8 "bind MOUSE3 vstr dog9; say ^4 A certain look in the eye, and an easy smile"
set dog9 "bind MOUSE3 vstr dog10; say ^4 You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to"
set dog10 "bind MOUSE3 vstr dog11; say ^4 So that when they turn their backs on you"
set dog11 "bind MOUSE3 vstr dog1; say ^4 You'll get the chance to put the knife in."
As you can see, this script has no 'gaming' value but can be full of entertainment value.

Edited by TheDragon, 03 November 2010 - 11:06 PM.

• Falkes likes this