- - - - -

Snoid seeks suggestions & advice on script

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Snoid

Snoid
  • Server:Bunker #1
Click to view battle stats
Taking the advice of TheDragon... I'm starting a thread to manage data and advice on a script that will help my "in game" performance. (I don't expect miracles) This is in response to my attempt to read Suckafool's Toggle for Cvar's script tutorial... which got me thinking there are probably some things I can do to my config now that I have a basic understanding of what it is and how it can help me. I'm not looking for any magic bullets here... just some simple suggestions or advice on possible actions or multiple actions for the various classes and the keys best suited for them. As most of you know I play engineer, covert op, field op, and medic depending on the map. I very seldom play the soldier class because I don't enjoy the weapons they use. (they're sloppy, haphazard, and cause too much team damage) I never use the mg, flame, or bazooka/panzer. I will use the mortar on a rare occasion. Other things to consider... I'll be 59 in April and my keyboard actions are only going to get worse. I need help in going from fight mode to work mode and back in case I'm surprised by an attack. Any other suggestions might help too. I'm NOT looking to copy someone's entire script... but rather one that will serve me with my slower reaction times and increasing physical restrictions. (arthritic wrists) I will be thinking about this as I play... and take some notes to provide my own ideas on best bind keys and actions I think will help. TheDragon says he'll assist me with the final product. If any of you considering helping me needs to ask me anything... use this thread or send me a message.
  • suckafool and Falkes like this

johnx

johnx

Postin Ain't Easy

• Retired Staff
  • 539 posts
  • Server:Unselected
Following this post closely, I am in desperate need of any script/config/magic that I can get :smad:

pumperjp

pumperjp

Postin Ain't Easy

• Bunker Members
  • 583 posts
Do like most skilled players. Strictly medic and adrenalin.

Lucretia

Lucretia
  • Tb:133802
selling my cfg for a case a beer :smiley25:
  • suckafool likes this

Lucretia

Lucretia
  • Tb:133802
its about time you make a Cfg snoid! its makes the game play alot better and more to you likeing then another players.

kael

kael

Becoming a Part of the Forum

• Bunker Members
  • 270 posts
I do some simple things, like rebind movement to the e s d f instead of wasd, keeps the fingers on the natural home position (I touch type for a living). Means I have to rebind most the other keys. ;)

Crouch toggle is useful, binoc toggle as well. Both mean you just have to push/release key instead of having to hold it down, to stay crouched for example.

Weapons: I use an old three button mouse, so mouse2 swaps between needle and packs (or pliers and dyno, smoke and satchel for respective classes) and button3 to swap between SMG, pistols and knife. Click click CLICK!

Other things like class selection scripts are handy but not really necessary.

QUESTION: Soldier level 4, how does one script selecting the SMG as the secondary weapon?

TheDragon

TheDragon

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • Server:Bunker #10
k snoid, first i need a few things.

What keys do you currently use (type /bindlist to generate your current list) or look at your config file.
Copy that out and look at it. What binds do you use a lot, what do you use occasionally, and what do you never use at all (and never see a reason to)

Post that list (with the binds grouped into those catagories).

Next:

What types of actions do you wish and how important are they.

You'll want important actions within reach of your left hand or mouse controls, less important further out on the key board.

I keep things like play dead and such close to the left hand, my kill and class switch binds are further across the keyboard or in number pad.

Next do you wish to make 'lazy binds' (binds that perform several actions with a single stroke) these can be simple to very complex (I had a chicken dance that ran 45 seconds, an exparament in scripting every possible action you can do. served entertainment, learning and also kept my player busy and not stationary while I made a quick bathroom break in the old days.

I'll dig out some of my older bind lists to see what we can change/modify for your use as well. I've got demo recording/playback scripts, sound toggles, class/weapon scripts (for RtCW + WW but we can make them work for ET with some input from some of the regulars) as well as simple 'panic buttons' (makes you stand and get out of walk mode with a simple click, in wild west your spurs are far more quiet when walking than running.)

Rasium

Rasium
I'm not very much into scripting, but I have a few things which I like in playing ET. Everyone has his own favourite kind of playstyle, so only take what you like. Posted Image

I don't like too see my gun, it's distracting me. Now you could use the option to set drawgun '0', but in that case a mistake is quickly made. For instance as medic pulling a nade instead of your needle without seeing it won't revive your teammate much. ;)
So a chose for this, you do see weaponbanks 1, 4-9 and don't see weaponbank 2 and 3 :

bind 0 "cg_drawgun 1; weaponbank 10"
bind 1 "cg_drawgun 1; weaponbank 1"
bind 2 "cg_drawgun 0; weaponbank 2"
bind 3 "cg_drawgun 0; weaponbank 3"
bind 4 "cg_drawgun 1; weaponbank 4"
bind 5 "cg_drawgun 1; weaponbank 5"
bind 6 "cg_drawgun 1; weaponbank 6"
bind 7 "cg_drawgun 1; weaponbank 7"
bind 8 "cg_drawgun 1; weaponbank 8"
bind 9 "cg_drawgun 1; weaponbank 9"

I don't have autoreload on so I can switch quickly to my gun(s) when the smg is empty. By using my mousewheel it happened to me that I made mistakes and in that moment u can't afford losing too much time in scrolling trough all weaponbanks before you have your guns, so I disabled all other weaponbanks:

bind MWHEELUP "cg_drawgun 0; weaponbank 2"
bind MWHEELDOWN "cg_drawgun 0; weaponbank 3"

Talking about autoreload, you can switch between on and off by this:
(I got this from someone else, but forgot who, so credits to him/her)

//autoreloadtoggle
bind F7 "vstr reloadtog"
set reloadtog "vstr areload_on"
set areload_on "cg_autoreload 1; set reloadtog "vstr areload_off"; echo "^dautoreload=^3on""
set areload_off "cg_autoreload 0; set reloadtog "vstr areload_on"; echo"^dautoreload=^1off""

In case a map is too dark or bright you can quickly adjust your gamma by this (afaik this is only for the current map):
(Also this one I got from someone else, but forgot who, so credits to him/her)

// Gamma Toggle (temporarily)
// When pressing F6, your brightness changes

bind F6 "vstr gamma"
set logam "set gamma vstr midgam; set r_gamma 1.0; echo ^8This is Standard Gamma"
set midgam "set gamma vstr higam; set r_gamma 1.45; echo ^8This is for bright Maps"
set higam "set gamma vstr logam; set r_gamma 1.75; echo ^8This is for dark Maps"
set gamma "vstr higam"

Edited by Rasium, 13 December 2010 - 06:51 PM.

PROWND

PROWND

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 803 posts
I would suggest scripts to toggle mouse sensitivity

cross hair size, cross hair type, wolf particles etc

Allain_45

Allain_45

INCUBUS

• Bunker Admins
  • 1,403 posts
I have No script,
just a keyboard Configuration ; that is fit for my needs...
->Just position your hands on the keyboard & think about things you'd like to do (quick & easy)

Simple 'in-Game' binding keys.......

Snoid

Snoid

I have No script,
just a keyboard Configuration ; that is fit for my needs...
->Just position your hands on the keyboard & think about things you'd like to do (quick & easy)

Simple 'in-Game' binding keys.......

That's basically how I play too. I've changed a few things like my aim config... got rid of blood splatter and stuff like that... but everything else ( I think) is pretty much default.

Snoid

Snoid
I need to warn everyone... that while my job requires computer knowledge... it is very specific to what I do in radio. I feel pretty stupid when all of you are trying like hell to help me... but I don't understand the computer language you're using. I know an extremely small amount of the tasks many of you are telling me to do. I spent about a half an hour Monday night (after being told (again) how to reduce my screen) trying to figure out how to simply make a copy of my bindlist and config file. Several peeps... including Prownd... were trying to help me "in game." I looked in my ET main file but couldn't open the config file. After all that... I still couldn't figure that out. It's hard to something that I simply don't know how to do. I'm not giving up... and after you are all through laughing... I hope you don't either. (lol) I need to know where to find these lists and simple / exact instructions on how to get it. I will probably ask you what certain terms mean... like launch... and where the hell do I find notepad...
Are you still willing to spend time on this???

suckafool

suckafool

A Name Known to All

• Bunker Admins
  • 4,079 posts
  • Xfire:suckafool
  • Tb:47965
Yo Snoid,we won't give up on you.Give me a couple days cause I'm real busy, but then I will help you as best as I can.Between all of us members we're bound to prevail ;)

GL

kael

kael

Becoming a Part of the Forum

• Bunker Members
  • 270 posts
No blood splatter?!? BOOOO! :laughing: I like me blood! :smiley25:

Snoid, don't take this the wrong way :sidea: and check out http://www.dummies.c...ng-windows.html .

My theory: 90% of us are dummies about 90% of Things That Can Be Known, the 10% we do know doesn't always overlap. :ssmile:

Remember, google is your friend, ask and ye shall be told. :seeker:

:cheers:

QuQu

QuQu

Postin Ain't Easy

• Bunker Admins
  • 720 posts
  • Server:Bunker #4
Hi Snoid!
I did knew few pages where is nicely written how or what and why... tho found just one working. http://forum.splatte...?showtopic=9497
Would suggest to make ur visual clear and bright and lower ur mousesensitivity lowest u can. In some time u will see difference to better.
Time ago, when i was trying my sens , i did use this script

bind o "vstr nom"
set nom1 "sensitivity 1.00 ;set nom vstr nom2; echo ^q S E N S I T I V I T Y ^q1.00"
set nom2 "sensitivity 0.45;set nom vstr nom1; echo ^w S E N S I T I V I T Y ^q0.45"
set nom "vstr nom1""

Currently i use it for rare sniper times, but with that i did find my 0.45 sens.
I wasnt able to low it from 3. ...at once to 0.45 . I did change values in script and lowered it lil by lil.( put there 2 values - ur current and lets say 0.3 units lower. and test .. few maps..day.
if 0.3 lower is good delete high nr and put other 0.3 lower then second one to script . ect ect .Till u get lowest possible to turn and aim head )
U might ask - why i needed to low sens? It was that damn Pisko who i wasnt able to kill at all :D with lower sens i have chance. So its better :D
... but im still bit aimless :) .. not so young too, it does hes work.

N0b as i am ;) , i think most effective is clear view and good sens to track enemy head/upperbody. Big screen, handy keyboard, good headset and exelent mouse are not bad either.
About keys.. lot of ppl use kind a diffrerent buttons for move and binds. One what i think is really good ( maybe just for me) is "bind MOUSE2 "+movedown" "
..oh, and binocs in "bind MOUSE3 "+zoom" " (mouseroll push) and "bind MWHEELUP " s_stop" " So its all really in hand to do... tho binoc are not so important.
I take tools/gun in numbers. 3 is main gun, 6 is dyna ect. Rolling is not for me.

In NQ works somehow "+attack2" and "reload" in same button. Cant say how the hell i did manage to set it, but it works for me :D I have it in mouse5.
Is it handy to use? For me it is, so what i cant reload sniper usually without shooting it emty first . hihi

*CapTn*

*CapTn*

Will Become Famous Soon Enough

• Members
  • 1,923 posts
  • Steam:captn3
its really trial and error snoid what one person likes another hates and how much change ur really up for.

dont believe evry thing u read if ur not playing etpro competitively ur fine in default . i play same as u .....i haavent got acfg for pub.

Snoid

Snoid
I'm not in any hurry with this guys... and I'll never take comments in a negative way. I even laughed (to myself) when about a year ago a casual bunker player tried to start a flame war because I asked him to not yell in game... ( he was using caps) Some of you may remember that. He and some of his friends tried to bully me on the server and in the forum. I just shook my head... that stuff just doesn't bother me... I've been through a lot of stuff in my life and something that trivial will not set me off. I will keep checking this thread and will accept any help. You need to be patient with me too since we may need to start at a very basic level. Once I learn the language of what you're talking about... it will be a lot easier.

Now... I will be in Minneapolis the 17th, 18th, and 19th, visiting my brother Droid. It's what he calls a gluttony weekend. We've got reservations at some of the best restaurants in town and we'll be staying at the Marriott City Center. I'm not taking a laptop so I won't be in touch for a few days.

Bill

Bill

Postin Ain't Easy

• Bunker Admins
  • 540 posts
Only tip I have is to start with the basics. http://bunker.aaxxss...showtopic=25596

If you start small, you at least have a shot at understanding everything you put in it later. (You'll have to figure out notepad first though... :D)

*CapTn*

*CapTn*

Will Become Famous Soon Enough

• Members
  • 1,923 posts
  • Steam:captn3

Only tip I have is to start with the basics. http://bunker.aaxxss...showtopic=25596

If you start small, you at least have a shot at understanding everything you put in it later. (You'll have to figure out notepad first though... :D)

i agree with this 100%...

leaDpoisAn

leaDpoisAn

Sticking Around

• Bunker Admins
  • 825 posts
Bill has real good post but I am going to bring down a notch.

Go to Notepad and make a file called snoid.cfg. it must have the extension cfg

You will use Notepad to edit and open this file, never use a word processor, simple text editor only

This is the file you will put the code into. The file belongs in the Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\Etmain directory normally in Program Files

In this new file called "snoid.cfg" file you can put code snipets like seen further up, Bills post or like the below (my config), not much to look at but it has some simple stuff that you can use & has some notes to help explain it.

To launch snoid.cfg configuration file you bring down the ~ (tilde for command window) and type \exec snoid (don't need the cfg, infact my config file is called just a.cfg because I am lazy =)

The other thing is if the there is / before the text it is ignored like a REM statement. So if you want to get rid of code but not delete it just put //in front of it.

Also print out your config and have it handy so you know what you bound everything to :P

bind f10 "quit"
bind n "kill; forcetapout"
bind p "playdead"

// FOV (field of view) Toggle modified version of the below
set fov1 "cg_fov 90; set fieldofview vstr fov2;"
set fov2 "cg_fov 120; set fieldofview vstr fov1;"
set fieldofview "vstr fov1"
bind semicolon "vstr fieldofview"

// FOV Toggle ********original******** noticed I rem'd all this code out, its only for reference
//set fov1 "cg_fov 90; set fieldofview vstr fov2; echo ^3FOV ^390;"
//set fov2 "cg_fov 100; set fieldofview vstr fov3; echo ^3FOV ^3100;"
//set fov3 "cg_fov 120; set fieldofview vstr fov1; echo ^3FOV ^3105;"
//set fieldofview "vstr fov1"
//bind semicolon "vstr fieldofview"

//name toggle
set name1 "name ^0|>B<| Snoid; set changename vstr name2;"
set name2 "name ^t|>^0B^t<|^0 Snoi^tD; set changename vstr name1;"
set changename "vstr name1"
bind f9 "vstr changename"

//set
//reference type /seta com_maxfps 43,76 or 125 when using ~tilde~
set name "^t|>^0B^t<|^0 Snoi^tD"
set com_maxfps 125
set cg_drawfps 1
set cl_maxpackets 100
set com_hunkmegs 192
set com_soundmegs 32
set com_zonemegs 32
set snaps 20

//wide screen 1440 x 900, if other H/W recheck fov value
//default for 1440 x 900 (fov 100.394), you need to run a calc for this, let me know if you need the formula
//I rem'd out the below for safety since this is monitor dependent on values.
/set r_mode "-1"
/set r_customwidth "1440"
/set r_customerheight "900"
/set fov "100.394"

//for cvar rate change, some servers temp kick for a few minutes if too high
//also try /pb_cvarlist to check for other violations
set rate 25000

//Dysan suggestions reference http://www.planetwol...es/tweaking.htm
set cg_wolfparticles "1"

echo ^3Snoid.cfg loaded