- - - - -

Map Voting

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

peyote

peyote
  • Server:Bunker #2
Click to view battle stats
I see not many people vote for the nextmap, so I thought maybe its better to remove the map voting..

What shall we do?

Jecoliah

Jecoliah

I Come Here Often

• Bunker Admins
  • 3,297 posts
  • Server:Bunker #1
Because of the hours i work i play on other servers late at night when there is no B server activity.

I have played on several that have the Map Voting system and what i noticed is that the same 5-6 maps just get played over and over again.

I was on a server last night when we finished the Map Adlernest and then Radar got voted and the Very next map that was voted was Adlernest Again.

I saw alot of players leave at that point and so did i.

I also think that alot of players at the end of the map are just looking at stats and talking in chat and not voting. (you can tell by the map vote numbers)

Anyway, that my 2 Cents,

Jec
  • mexx/assassin likes this

-=BRASIL=-

-=BRASIL=-
  • Server:Unselected
Well the people can vote (if enable) i guess this is good. Worst is when they do it a lot times around the campaign (on warmup) when the anothers players cant vote too. Few (old and low) admins does it too on b1 and geting boring msg about it. I complain about it too, i need be honest how i like.
Off course each one have they favorite maps what are on rotate but nobody or no1 will get a smile on all they faces. This is a fact.
Try, IF YOU CAN, is getting a avarage about how many still in when a map is voted, than not voted. Maybe this will give us a better feedback about this descision.
Anyway thanks for sharing your thought about.
:)

soccerkill

soccerkill
  • Xfire:Soccerkillnl
  • Tb:177277
  • Discord:Soccerkill #6972
  • Server:Bunker #4
Remove it , just becus peoples always wanna play tower so they all vote tower and im doomed! :P

just a campain much better :) if ya need help with that pm me :)

Falkes

Falkes
  • Tb:30445
  • Discord:Falkes#6861

I have played on several that have the Map Voting system and what i noticed is that the same 5-6 maps just get played over and over again.
I was on a server last night when we finished the Map Adlernest and then Radar got voted and the Very next map that was voted was Adlernest Again.

for a cycle normal,probably you've some good or bad maps,with the voting system , I vote for the maps I like... probably the same maps

I also think that alot of players at the end of the map are just looking at stats and talking in chat and not voting. (you can tell by the map vote numbers)

I must admit you've absolutely reason :)

Mongo

Mongo

Sticking Around

• Bunker Admins
  • 1,110 posts
Voting system is good I think it makes all players involved on the server and they can try to make the server like they want it and chose the maps they like if they want.
But maybe there are too many maps that you can vote on.

If we could make a campaign that has 3-5 maps vote able before next round.
One idea could be this.
Example
Campaign maps number – Map to vote on – Attacker Axis/Allies/Dual
1 - Fueldump - Allies - (first time you vote on one off number 1 and play that map)
1 - Adlernest . Allies
1 - SP-Delivery - Allies

2 - ET Ice - Axis (second time you vote at one off number 2 and play that map)
2 - xf5 - Axis
2 - Sot - Axis

3 - Supply – Allies - (and so on ->)
3 - Goldrush - Allies
3 - Oasis - Allies

4 - mml Church - Axis
4 - Bayraid_beta2 - Axis
4 - Railgun - Axis

5 - v2 factory - Dual
5 - koth - Dual
5 - Baserace - Dual

6 - eagles - Allies
6 - map - Allies
6 - map - Allies

7 - Axis
7 - And so on ->.

I don’t know if this is possible.

peyote

peyote
It is almost possible.. unfortunately the voting system has many limitations. I can only tell it to exclude maps from voting, and adding all maps to that cvar - makes a too long cvar (more then 255 chars) and the game crashes.
So we would need less maps for example.. or a better voting system, but I cannot modify that.

The problem I see is that out of 30 players .. 1-4 do vote. Regardless of the voting system.

killjoy

killjoy

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 783 posts
I suggest - if possible - that maps are removed from the voting - once played - the voting is only held on the remaining maps in the whole campaign sequence - and then once all the maps have been played once, the whole campaign option of choices opens up again - in other words, the vote is on the sequence the maps are played in and not on their frequency - but its an impossble task to please all of the people all of the time ( we all have maps we prefer and or detest ) - this method however, would maintain a semblance of chose and democracy - there you go - my tuppence worth of comment :-)

TheDragon

TheDragon

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • Server:Bunker #10
I'd say keep it. If folks want the next map to be truely random then they don't have to vote. If there are only a few voting can be used to miss the maps where the bots just stand there. (there isn't a next map vote at the moment (I think).

peyote

peyote
nextmap voting did not work in voting mode. Have to test with new version of Silent.
(Actually makes sense that it does still do nothing, as nextmap is not wanted - intermission is.)
The nextmap cmd on b2 is a custom one, setting timelimit to 0.1.

I will disable mapvoting in intermission. And allow for 'voting' for maps by cmd. I called it rating once.. This allows you to set your favorite maps. And the map manager will handle the rest. And in intermission you can chat, and check your stats - instead of vasting time to vote.
Also the map manager will check if bots are available, and load em according to that - or even disable bots ...

Jecoliah

Jecoliah

I Come Here Often

• Bunker Admins
  • 3,297 posts

nextmap voting did not work in voting mode. Have to test with new version of Silent.
(Actually makes sense that it does still do nothing, as nextmap is not wanted - intermission is.)
The nextmap cmd on b2 is a custom one, setting timelimit to 0.1.

I will disable mapvoting in intermission. And allow for 'voting' for maps by cmd. I called it rating once.. This allows you to set your favorite maps. And the map manager will handle the rest. And in intermission you can chat, and check your stats - instead of vasting time to vote.
Also the map manager will check if bots are available, and load em according to that - or even disable bots ...

Hmmm, could you elaborate on the "voting for maps by cmd"?

Jec

UndeadWarrior

UndeadWarrior

Will Become Famous Soon Enough

• Bunker Admins
  • 2,401 posts
If it is like before it will be like this whilst playing

!ratemap 3
ratemap 1
!ratemap 5

and so on :)

peyote

peyote
I am not sure yet what todo, we had a !ratemap command, which allowed to give a value between 1 and 5.
Most used the max or min, and not something in between. So I thought about how I can improve the feedback.
Had not yet any idea - lol.

Koiranpentu

Koiranpentu

Puppy

• Bunker Members
  • 941 posts
  • Steam:koiranpentu
  • Tb:3252236
  • Discord:Koiranpentu
  • Server:Unselected

Most used the max or min, and not something in between.

Yea, players are not goot at rating maps. I am one of those persons who have difficulties to rate things with 2, 3, or 4. So I used to rate usually 1 or 5.

Personally I like this current map voting. However, if you want to improve this somehow. Do not have so much maps which players can vote in the list. For example on B4 map voting system has only some maps at the same time. B2 has so many maps in voting list at the the same time that same maps are played many times a day. (I hope you get what I mean but ask if you didn't get this lol)

Edited by Koiranpentu, 21 May 2011 - 12:35 PM.

soccerkill

soccerkill
  • Xfire:Soccerkillnl
  • Tb:177277
  • Discord:Soccerkill #6972
with !ratemap peoples only vote on cool maps and not on other maps, then we play also again all the time the same map right ?

Jecoliah

Jecoliah

I Come Here Often

• Bunker Admins
  • 3,297 posts
Is there a way you could do mini campaigns.

I mean with the Voting system On. For example the Players are presented with a certain set of maps (like maybe 10 to choose from) for the first 5 games.

And then a new mini campaign is loaded with a different set of maps to choose from for the next 5 games and So on.

Is that Possible Peyote?

Jec

peyote

peyote
@Jecoliah
Do I correctly understand, you want a system which allows to define a set of maps, as you say 10 maps per set. Then for 5 rounds - you can choose in intermission map voting from one of these 10. When the 5 rounds have passed, a new set of maps becomes available?
The current voting system does only allow for the *first 32* bsp's in etmain to be used. Its possible to exclude maps from voting, but not explicitly include. I suppose if I exclude some of those 32, it will use some more. But I don't know - I have not made tests or looked at the sourcecode.

So if you make 4 sets with each having 8 maps. It would be possible to configure g_excludemaps, and the rest of cvars accordingly, so that what you want would happen. But already the 6 original maps are included in that. So you are left with 26 maps to define. But yes that is perfectly possible.
If ... I would extend the script, so that it move pk3's in/out of etmain, more then 32 maps would be possible. (Maybe its already possible somehow, but as said not tested or anything)

@soccerkill
Yes that is correct, but if you check that system more closely... Why would you want to play a map which you have rated bad or not at all - it can keep track that you do only vote positive - and that you have played the map already.
!lsmaps will show the rating also, therefore admins can easily replace maps.
Also it will take into account all players which are online (including specs), lastly I am thinking of giving more options. Something to define that you love big maps, or snowy maps, or dual objective maps.. Somekind of favorite setting.

@Koiranpentu
the server does already exclude the last 13 maps or something like that. So you can only vote after 13 maps have passed for the same map again.

edited: visit the server manual page, if you want to know more, hard to read when quoted here:
http://mygamingtalk.....html#mapvoting
http://mygamingtalk....#g_mapVoteFlags

Edited by peyote, 21 May 2011 - 10:25 PM.

• Falkes likes this