Check us out:

Photo

Recruiting new members on TF2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

Angerfist

Angerfist

Becoming a Part of the Forum

• Bunker Members
  • 496 posts
Click to view battle stats
Hi everybody, what's up? :)

Lately I've been very active on Team Fortress 2 and just loving the game.
I have met some people that were interested in our community.
Some of them wanted to join |>B<| and that's why I'm making this topic.

What are the requirement for someone on TF2 wanting to join |>B<|?
- do they have to play on our TF2 server
- do they have to play ET and thus on our servers
- do they have to register on this forum

While the requirements for joining us on ET are quite clear, I'm having doubts for TF2.
None of the active |>B<| on TF2 actually plays on our bot server. Also the potential recruits are not very attracted by the idea of playing on a botserver.
I personally don't have a problem with bots (they are really smart compared to those from ET) but I'm not found of 6 vs 6 and standard maps.
I also want to add that none of us |>B<| have actual commands like !kick ...

Would it be fine for new recruits on TF2 to put the |>B<| tag on?
Or is it maybe possible to create a new kind of tag? One for people that just want to support us?

P.S. if this topic needs to be moved to Bunker Member Area, please do so

Edited by Angerfist, 04 October 2011 - 01:56 PM.

Rasium

Rasium
For Bunker as a gaming community I think it's a good idea. I play tf2 too, often together with Anger, and have been thinking too about an option to get players from other games into |>B<|. I agree it's hard to do the membershipprocedure as been done in ET.

You won't hear me declare ET or Bunker death, but I think it's good for the survivability if there will be fresh blood. So if we share our thoughts about the idea of membership from other games, let's see if we can find a solution for a good procedure. If there is one it's up to the AF to decide about it of course, but I think it's fruitful to discuss it all together.

Another thing related to this is to make another open steam community besides the invite only we already have. People can join it without being member and this might attract them to our forum (and maybe even to ET).

Ace

Ace

Becoming a Part of the Forum

• Bunker Members
  • 307 posts
Seems like a pretty good idea. I've been on the TF2 server a few times (would be more but it seems to beat up my old laptop more than ET does), and it would be nice to have a few |>B<| members around.

I like the idea of a different tag since members won't have admin rights or levels like in ET.

I think they should at least join the forums and introduce themselves, although it would be nice if they stopped by for a game of ET every now and then ;)

I haven't been around very long, so it's probably better to listen to the older members/high admins instead of me :)

Koiranpentu

Koiranpentu

Puppy

• Bunker Members
  • 941 posts
That's kinda complicated. It's hard to become member by playing ET - it takes a long time to become a member. We, who have become members in ET are carrying the tag to other games too. If TF2 player becomes a |>B<| member, should they be allowed to wear the tag on other games too?

IMHO this community should recruit players on other games than ET too, but the idea is not ready yet. I dunno how you would fix it, but "the community build" is still at ET-stage.

This is my personal view but I think bunker needs improvements to website, member system (really important to recruit in other games than ET), community leading (more activity and events!! if current admins do not have time, get some who have time then!).

Edited by Koiranpentu, 04 October 2011 - 02:36 PM.

Falkes

Falkes
is all a system you need change not exclusively only for 1 game , it could work like " trial member " with a trial period " , --- is a solution maybe for popularized again our servers .

:sarcastic_hand:
http://bunker.aaxxss...showtopic=26126

Koiranpentu

Koiranpentu

Puppy

• Bunker Members
  • 941 posts
Yeah, it's really complicated. But it could also help getting our ET servers alive again. You're right absolutely with that.

I don't like copying ideas but a community/clan called Gaming Masters (mainly focusing on TF2.. Angerfist, Rasium, you know what community I mean with this) has quite good requirements to join. [link]
They have also different tags for members, trials, and supporters (everyone has permissions wear this one).

Edited by Koiranpentu, 04 October 2011 - 02:54 PM.

peyote

peyote
I think same requirements as in ET should apply in TF2. While I do not play TF2 - I have seen it, and Team Fortress is some of a kind predecessor to ET I believe.
I do not know how many people from AF do play TF2, but it would become difficult for any vote to pass - if none is playing there. So probably forum activity would help a lot.

Koiranpentu

Koiranpentu

Puppy

• Bunker Members
  • 941 posts

So probably forum activity would help a lot.

Maybe it could be good to have a requirement to have X posts on forums to apply to join? But I'm afraid that this could cause more useless posts.

Rasium

Rasium
I agree membership shouldn't been taken too light. Postcount says something about activity, but doesn't mean someone fits into Bunker. But still, it's good to think about it, not only for TF2 but other (future) games too.
Thing is, people are curious about our tag and it could give some fresh blood.

KILLERBEE

KILLERBEE

Will Become Famous Soon Enough

• Members
  • 2,867 posts
I have currently less time, because of school, started sports again and also found other interests in life, at this moment i'm not active in ET, but most of the days i'm an hour in the team fortress 2 server.

"What are the requirement for someone on TF2 wanting to join |>B<|?"

Playing on the server, they don't need to play ET, like ET players don't have to play TF2 to become a member. At least a little bit active on the forums would be better. Making a tag that show they support the Bunker team fortress 2 server is a nice idea....

I don't think there are any AF member that play TF2, maybe create a AF for TF2 only and put people in that TF2 AF like myself, angerfist, rasium, koiranpentu, ace and maybe a few others.

solewu

solewu

Sticking Around

• Old retired farts
  • 1,034 posts
hmmm, don't know about the idea of 2 AF, think one is enough.

Will our tf2 server last long enough to make it worth to tag people over there?

Cause otherwise they would be homeless at team fortress 2 :)

thestig

thestig

I Come Here Often

• Bunker Admins
  • 3,837 posts
other question solewu: will our ET servers last long enough ? :)

I think it's not a bad idea to try get some new fresh blood in the community, can get our server back to life also with some luck. if they try out ET or whatever. and atleast the |>B<| tag can live on if we accept other games too.

killjoy

killjoy

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 783 posts
How about giving them a baby I>b<I to designate a level of "junior" or "probational" rank rather than the Capital I>B<I --------------- or some similar alternative code I>T"B"F<I etc etc

LiQuId

LiQuId

Resident Hobo

• Bunker Members
  • 521 posts
^ I agree, if we do end up going forward with tagging people on TF2, then I think we should have a tag that is unique to TF2, for example like killjoy said |>BTF<| or something of the sort. It would make them of the bunker community, but of the TF2 faction.

On another note, what times does everyone else play? every time I connect there are only bots on :(

-LiQuId

Koiranpentu

Koiranpentu

Puppy

• Bunker Members
  • 941 posts
I>B<I looks ugly on some fonts IMO, and it might be too close to |>B<|, depending the font. But it shouldn't be really much longer than the original one.
We could also think using [ in trials instead of | - [>B<]. Doesn't look rly bad.

Well, if modifying the whole member system, so it would be same in all games, like Falkes said, which would be good - the best solution could be |>B<| for members [>B<] for trials OR if we want to have free-to-use supporter tag that should be [>B<] and |>BT<| the trial one.

Edited by Koiranpentu, 05 October 2011 - 04:57 AM.

solewu

solewu

Sticking Around

• Old retired farts
  • 1,034 posts
\>B</ or (>B<) or )>B<( or }>B<{ or !>B<! or |>BTF<| or |<B>| or |>B<|>TF<| or |>B<TF>| or ... choice enough

Rasium

Rasium

On another note, what times does everyone else play? every time I connect there are only bots on :(

We mostly play on other servers atm. If you're a friend in Steam (we are :)) you can see if someone is playing TF2. In TF2 you can check which server your friends are playing on.

I like the constructive discussion so far. Imo the option to use another tag for trials or supporters is a good idea, and as most people play TF2 via Steam it could be done combined with a open steamcommunity. Furthermore (though a bit off topic) I hope the admins at our membercommunity will be more active...

killjoy

killjoy

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 783 posts

I>B<I looks ugly on some fonts IMO, and it might be too close to |>B<|, depending the font. But it shouldn't be really much longer than the original one.
We could also think using [ in trials instead of | - [>B<]. Doesn't look rly bad.

Well, if modifying the whole member system, so it would be same in all games, like Falkes said, which would be good - the best solution could be |>B<| for members [>B<] for trials OR if we want to have free-to-use supporter tag that should be [>B<] and |>BT<| the trial one.

Just to confirm any suspicions that you may have, about me being a big old noob :-) ............. i AM ..............the only reason I put I>B<I ........( Using Capital i's = I ) is because I couldn't figure out how to do the Tag properly, on the Keyboard...............Silly me .............But now I'm curious to Know, how do Use that symbol in the Bunker Tag..............Can someone enlighten me ?

killjoy

killjoy

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 783 posts

^ I agree, if we do end up going forward with tagging people on TF2, then I think we should have a tag that is unique to TF2, for example like killjoy said |>BTF<| or something of the sort. It would make them of the bunker community, but of the TF2 faction.

-LiQuId

At the moment I am on British GMT "Time"..................

At the Moment Bunker 2 gets some very rare and sporadic visitors in the Late afternoons and early evenings.........
Bunker 4 is usually a bit more active, but at the same time of day............
Bunker 1 is the only Server that gets reasonably busy but, it doesn't really warm up until 11pm and onwards through the early hours ( Usa Times ) ..........a killer if your on or near GMT.......and have to get to
work for 6am !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by killjoy, 06 October 2011 - 06:37 PM.

Koiranpentu

Koiranpentu

Puppy

• Bunker Members
  • 941 posts

Just to confirm any suspicions that you may have, about me being a big old noob :-) ............. i AM ..............the only reason I put I>B<I ........( Using Capital i's = I ) is because I couldn't figure out how to do the Tag properly, on the Keyboard...............Silly me .............But now I'm curious to Know, how do Use that symbol in the Bunker Tag..............Can someone enlighten me ?

Ah, now I understood what you ment with your earlier message. :D
Ehm, I could someone explain what key is that? I think we Finns have that in a different place than it is in your kayboard.