4 replies to this topic

ledzeppelin

ledzeppelin

Making Friends

• Bunker Members
  • 93 posts
  • Server:Unselected
Click to view battle stats
alright so it's been like 2 months since i started playing mechwarrior online; since G0rt said he found the original mechwarrior 2 a lot of fun (so did I) i decided to write up a little intro to this Free to Play game.
since teamplay is so important in this game maybe we could have a little room in TS if you guys ever get to play this.

this game is consuming my time more and more each passing day, i'm hooked on it.

let's get started: what is mechwarrior?
if you don't already know, mechwarrior is a simulation game based on the popular tabletop game Battletech by FASA;
the game plays quite a bit like a tank sim; except instead of tanks you're piloting mechs - huge two legged machines (robots).

First Impressions/Gameplay
to the untrained noob (lol) who just got the game it may seem like there's not only a steep learning curve, but also limited maps and game modes;
while this is all true - after playing some more you can finally appreciate the big picture elements such as the teamwork, customization and the community. i would recommend you don't give up if your first few matches are tough - that's how MWO is, around 40%-50% of the time you'll be obliterated in your mech's cockpit, it's inevitable.
but that's a given in this game and people never get mad or put the blame on anyone else (unless you're being a douche) - quite the contrary; you're encouraged to join a group even if you're not that good yourself.
and the roleplay elements of the battletech universe play a big part in what groups there are and which you'll decide to join.

Timeline
the game takes place in the year 3050. battletech history extends for hundreds of years but developers picked the most pivotal point in Btech history with the year 3050 since it's about the same time period mechwarrior2 was supposed to take place in - the iconic "invasion of the clans"

Mechs
there's 4 battlemech categories, lights, mediums, heavies and assault.
lights are around 20-35 tons and usually rely on speed
mediums are around 40-55 tons and combine decent speed, durability and firepower
heavies are around 60-75 tons and are very durable and tough, they have access to a lot of firepower as well
assault mechs are 80-100 tons, and they're king of the battlefield, it takes groups of mechs to take a single one down,
and they have the biggest arsenal but they're painfully slow and lumbering. so in the end the playing field is quite even.

if you'd like to see them all go here:
http://mwomercs.com/game/battlemechs

Factions
the factions you can join are the same as in the Btech universe, some people have been playing for these factions since 1995 (mechwarrior 2) or even 1986 (tabletop game) so you'll see very rich communities here.

there's a bunch of factions (not all of them are in the game right now, but more will be added so many people are waiting to join those instead) they're partly inspired by cultures and events of earth's history so i'll just point out the basics of each faction and you'll get an idea

Kurita - they're japanese. their galaxy is japanese... as such they have a high sense of honor and discipline, as well as some samurai looking mechs. they're generally not liked by the rest of the factions for historical reasons.

Liao - they're russian-chinese (mostly chinese). their galaxy is communist.
since their star system is so small usually they don't matter as much as the big factions but they're agressive nonetheless and willing to sacrifice their people "for the good of the faction". the value of the individual is never above the needs of the many.

Davion - davion are a faction of tradition but also manipulative; the best way to think about them is like a New world order wannabe. they're probably based on the UK

Rasalhague - they're vikings! they come from all those nordic countries.

Steiner - this faction is by far the most popular one among players.
they have a big and intrusive government that is quite in control of everyone's lives. but at the same time they believe in a free market so this is the capitalist society by excelence. so in short - they're american.

Marik - this faction is like the european union. they avoid big conflicts and usually are more interested in culture and developing technologies a lot more than the rest of the factions. theyre also the only faction that has some kind of democracy, the rest are ruled with an iron fist

disenfranchised - usually known as Mercenaries (the name of some of the most iconic games in the franchise) they are mechwarriors who hold no affiliation or rather just pilot battlemechs in combat for profit.

what you would call a "clan" in another game is instead called a "unit" if aligned with a faction (because clans in battletech are something else) or a "merc company" when you play with your group with no affiliation in particular.
so technically you could make a unit and call it the Bunker Merc Company or just the Bunker company or something clever like the bunker busters. its interesting to see what groups come up with. often they use the battletech rpg manuals to flesh out their characters even more.

so i'll stop boring you and just post a video now so you can see the gameplay

=========================================================================================

i could talk more about the game but really my words fall short of how engaging the gameplay is and how cool the story really is;

so i'll leave you with the battletech cartoon: (don't take this one too seriously though! it's a cheesy cartoon!!! but it does explain the backdrop in about 15 episodes)

there are also comic books and novels based on it; i have a few of them myself though i haven't read them yet. except for 1 or 2 comic books.

PS> Oh, by the way i am a member of house marik already (the purple faction) people are extremely friendly and everyone is welcome regardless of their skill so if you ever get the game just talk to me and i'll send you a link to our forums and the teamspeak channel!!

Edited by ledzeppelin, 10 January 2013 - 10:05 PM.

kael

kael

Becoming a Part of the Forum

• Bunker Members
  • 270 posts
  • Server:Bunker #1
Speaking as one who played the Original, Paper/Figure-Based Game....ah.....20 years ago....NICE! ;)

Yeah, I still have the figs and rules.

Will have to find out if Linux is supported.

Ah: linux.
1. Not supported and likely not intended.
2. A bunch of idiots on the forums regarding operating systems. Noobs.

Edited by kael, 11 January 2013 - 10:47 PM.

ledzeppelin

ledzeppelin

Making Friends

• Bunker Members
  • 93 posts
  • Server:Unselected
heheh, too bad about the linux support but they might add it though;
i remember when i first got this pc i had windows for games and linux for browsing, cause its way safer and you can boot with any OS.

i had to reboot a lot...
now i don't care i run everything windows, lol

if you're still playing the TT game you might want to check out their forums anyway, they organize meetings to play and stuff as well

kael

kael

Becoming a Part of the Forum

• Bunker Members
  • 270 posts
I'm on the Linux side, if Windows is required, pass. Insert speech about Microsoft Evil here.

I should get my old rules out, see if my son can survive even looking at them. :)
  • ledzeppelin likes this

Fedaykin

Fedaykin

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 1,062 posts

If anyone's still interested in playing MWO, I've been doing that on a fairly regular basis when I have the time. I highly recommend it, really well done Mechwarrior game and a load of fun for people like myself who can only play on a casual basis nowadays.

Feel free to add Justinfact and send me a message. I have some pretty nice Jager and Highlander setups going on and would love to play together with some people.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: game, free, fps, sim, teamspeak, f2p