:read:

Total Posts: 293,348

Total Members: 4,620

Newest Member: Blind

Most Online: 152

Spammers Stopped: 22,888

The_Bean_Files.jpg

The Real Venice

This month we take a peek at another popular Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory map, examining where reality and fiction blend together. With Venice, it occurs in more ways than one!

Venice is a great ET map. In my experience, some of the closest and well-played matches have been fought on its streets and in its canals. The Allies must direct a Churchill tank through a square and past its anti-tank gun. Next, the tank must plow down a fence, pass through another open square, and blast an opening into a library. Then, the Allies must steal the library documents, take them to a boat, an escape through the city’s famous canal system.

The main square portrayed in the Venice map (the location of the library where the objective documents are held) is modelled after “Campo San Barnaba” Square in the real Venice. Hundreds of years ago, it was a part of the city that had low rents, so it was an ideal spot for nobles who had lost their fortunes through excessive spending.

oldpaint_zpsaea7d5fc.jpg

In the real Venice, the library is actually a church, which goes by the same name as the square (San Barnaba). It was built in the mid-1700s. Old by American standards, but pretty young for the ancient cities of Europe. As shown in the two images below, the creators of the Venice map were meticulous in their depiction of the square and the church\library.

Venice-ET_zps6c09a1f3.jpg

Venice-real_zps565e41d8.jpg

Several scenes from the 1989 blockbuster film “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade’ were filmed in Campo San Barnaba. In addition, the exterior of the church was used as the library in the movie, which Indy explores in search of his father and the Holy Grail. (Speaking of Holy Grails, don’t expect a Bean Files article on that bloody map; I hate it!) Below is a screen capture from the film which shows part of the front of the library.

indy_zpsf0f2a2b4.jpg

As for Venice itself, during World War II its liberation by Allied troops in the spring of 1945 was somewhat of a sideshow to the main effort towards the ultimate victory.

Have an idea for a Bean Files article? I take requests! As you know, I like to research and write about anything related to the history and technology that surrounds our favourite FPS. Make a suggestion and I’ll do my best to address it.

Sakura_zpsdcc8966e.jpg

Q: As an introduction, what are some of the basic facts you want your Bunker friends to know about you... name, age, where you live, are you working or going to school?

A: My name is Kate Hogan. I currently live in Virginia. I am currently attending a local community college to become a counselor/talk therapist.

picture002_zpsabc06563.jpg

A picture of me with my laptop webcam

290_21704125627_5925_n_zps987e2f5f.jpg

Receiving my High School diploma

Q: What is your major?

A: My major is Human Services so this will lead me into counseling.

Q: Do you have any brothers or sisters?

A: I have one brother that is two years older than me. We are very close.

539245_10151138817837150_225137189_n_zps

This is my brother and me posing at his wedding. I was a bridesmaid.

Q: Is the college you attend in or near your hometown?

A: Yes it’s local to me.

Q: When and how did you learn about Wolfenstein ET and when did you join the Bunker Community?

A: I first was introduced to Wolfenstein Enemy Territory by my brother back in either 2005 or 2006, regardless I was hooked so I played a long time. I was allowed to join the Bunker Community Jan. 29, 2013.

Q: ET Players are overwhelmingly male.  What are some of the reasons you like it and why do you think more girls/women don't play the game?

A: I like playing the game since I like shooting games, especially FPS. I guess it would depend why females are not playing the game as much. It’s a personal choice to either play the game or not. 

Q: What are some of your favorite maps?

A: I love Super Goldrush Final for its secret passage and such. I love to play Special Delivery as well. One map that’s just fun to frag on is Panzerina!

Q: Do you have a favorite class you like to play?

A: I primarily love to play engineer since that job is important especially in team play. I also enjoy playing soldier to use the panzer ;)

Q: Do you consider yourself an average, good, or great player?

A: I personally consider myself good but I have my good days and my bad days like we all do.

Q: Do you or your family hunt or shoot competitively and have you been taught how to use real firearms?

A: My father was in the Navy so he was trained. I’ve always wanted to learn how to shoot so I thought to give it a try when I was working at a Boy Scout camp. My family does not hunt though.

5860_134458155627_3185273_n_zps276e7959.

Here I am at the Boy Scout camp shooting skeet with a shotgun. I managed to shoot 4 out of 5 clay pigeons. I'd say that's awesome for my first time!

Q: Have you been able to travel by yourself or with your family as you were growing up?  Name some of the places you've been, what you liked about them, and why you traveled there.

A: All the places I have been to, has been with my family. My first trip overseas was in July of 1999 to visit family that was temporarily living in Brussels, Belgium. >From there, I traveled to England, France, Holland as well as Luxembourg. Since then, I’ve been up to Canada, taken a cruise to the Bahamas, taken a cruise to Sweden, Norway and Copenhagen, I have flown up to Sweden with a stop in Iceland and 40 states in the United States.

166638_10150125678730628_4373661_n_zpse3

My mother and me in Edam, Netherlands 

Q: Have you played on other servers?

A: My very first server I remember playing on was The Seattle Pig Farm. I lagged so badly since I played using dial-up. I used to play on the FBI servers before they all went away. I do basic trick jumps so I went and visited a server based out of NL. I prefer to frag than to trickjump.

Q: Why have you chosen the Bunker Community?

A: One reason I chose the Bunker Community is the good people I have played with and talked to on teamspeak. The members are kind and respectful. I also enjoy playing on the servers since teamplay is encouraged/recommended. 

Q: Do we make you feel welcome and are you glad you're a part of the family?

A: Yes and definitely yes.

Q:  Do you tell others about the game and about Bunker?

A: Yes a little bit.

Q: What do you think we are doing right?

A: I can’t really pinpoint it to a single thing, but from what I can tell, everything is right as rain.

Q: Any suggestions on how to do things better?

A: Nothing from what I can tell.

Q: The Bunker Community is very diverse. Did it surprise you to find out there are members as young as 7 and several who are in their 60's?

A: No it’s not surprising since I know EZfrag’s children play ET. I think it's wonderful that the community is diverse because I feel like we all can learn from each other. 

Q: Is there any "special someone" in your life?

A: Yes I’m somewhat in a relationship but it’s not going as well as I would hoped it would be. I may go up to meet him but it all depends on my schedule. In the end, I might end my relationship.

Q: What do you see yourself doing 20 years from now?  Married, working, raising family etc.

A: Married, working, raising family etc.  I will probably be working, be a mother to children and travel the world.

Q: If the Bunker Community is still around in 20 years... will you still be a member and play whatever version of Wolfenstein is available?

A: Maybe yes if my work schedule will allow it.

Q: Do you have any hobbies or interests you haven't already mentioned?

A: I collect pins from places I have been to like Hard Rock Cafes, battlefields of the Civil War, museums, and so much more!

DSCN5045_zps18798f4a.jpg

DSCN5046_zps753cccf4.jpg

Q: Do you have any pets?

A: When I was growing up, I had fish. I've never owned a cat or a dog unless you consider a Tamogatchi or Nitendog. ;)

Q: How would you describe a perfect day if money was not an issue?

A: I would travel around the world making various pit stops from snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef to visiting Angkor Wat to enjoy its silence. I also would visit my friends that I’ve made playing ET.

Q: Do any of your friend's play Wolfenstein ET and have you met any Bunker members?

A: I managed to talk my one friend from college to get into ET but that’s about it. I personally have not met any Bunker members but I would love to.

Q: What would you like to tell us that I haven't asked you about?

A: I love to help people whenever possible. I am willing to listen to anyone who needs it whether by chat, Skype or TS. That’s why I’m going to school because I want to help people through therapy. I’ve already helped many people and I hope to help even more in the years to come. For me, traveling is my passion. I hope to see as much of the world as I can as I live my life. I also consider myself a friend to all.

Edited by Snoid, 28 June 2013 - 05:24 PM.

• Falkes, Jecoliah, FreiQUEBEC and 4 others like this

PATRIOT

PATRIOT

Sticking Around

• Bunker Admins
  • 1,073 posts
  • Server:Unselected
Click to view battle stats

Very nice to meet your Sakura. Glad to have you as a |>B<| Member. Bean, the pictures in relationship to the game are awsome, nice job. And SNoid, as always what can we say. Thank you!

• Sakura likes this

Mongo

Mongo

Sticking Around

• Bunker Admins
  • 1,082 posts
  • Server:Bunker #2

Very nice to meet your Sakura. Glad to have you as a |>B<| Member. Bean, the pictures in relationship to the game are awsome, nice job. And SNoid, as always what can we say. Thank you!

Not much more I can add, agree with Patriot.
Thanks Sakura, Bean and Snoid.

killjoy

killjoy

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 783 posts
  • Server:Bunker #2

Oh Lord ! Bless this, thy Hand Grenade -

That with it - Thy most blow thy enemies -

To tiny bits - In thy mercy.

Shame on you Bean - The holy grail is a great map :-)

Once again great stuff - & thanks for sharing Sakura :-)

! Vote - Who has the most alluring TeamSpeak voice ?

Like Silken velvet, purring us all into a dream like sense of contentment = Sakura :-)

However - Can you tone down all the Dirty talk - My blood pressure can't take much more of your brazenness !

• Sakura likes this

Snoid

Snoid
  • Server:Bunker #1

rofl Killjoy.....

I've got my blood pressure under control... maybe I should try TS again... lol...

ontheqt

ontheqt

Postin Ain't Easy

• Bunker Members
  • 584 posts
  • Xfire:shrikester

Good job!  Sakura forgot to say that she uses her alluring voice to call me "old fart" in TS all the time.

• Sakura likes this

Bill

Bill

Postin Ain't Easy

• Bunker Admins
  • 540 posts

Nice work!  Good interview Sakura...  Glad to know you'll keep playing ET in 20 years.  (What kind of question is that Snoid, lol... :D)

That's really cool about the Venice map though.  I looked up a wider angle photo because I wanted to see if there was really a ladder coming out of the water.  (There isn't.  :()

Defender

Defender

Becoming a Part of the Forum

• Bunker Members
  • 414 posts
  • Server:Bunker #4

Very very good, thanks Snoid and co for this month's.

Sakura, you are one of just several lovely females that play in this game, we appreciate your lovely fun and responsible attitude, larger than life, caring, and an angel (with the luuving feeling in you)! Thanks.

I just caught a quick read tonight - midnight + 50 mins - as I've been installing my upgrade motherboard processor and ram memory.  Tired now.

I'm looking forwards to not only another read of this, but hopefully have Wolfenstein ET installed and getting onto playing late afternoon Saturday on 4. Then, I wonder, can I keep awake for a wee blast on the great Bunker 1 -- only time will tell, lol :i-m_so_happy:

Regards.

Edited by Defender, 29 June 2013 - 12:06 PM.

*CapTn*

*CapTn*

Will Become Famous Soon Enough

• Members
  • 1,927 posts
  • Steam:captn3

it is nice u guys take time to do this stuff .. and sakura u are a sweet heart.

bean idianajones rocks.

holy grail map is fun ...

ONE THING THO SAKURA , I DID NOT SEE A CAPTAIN AMERICA PIN IN YOUR COLLECTION DO I NEED TO SEND U ONE?HUM?

Edited by *CapTn*, 29 June 2013 - 01:20 PM.

• Houwitzer and Bean like this

Bean

Bean
  • Tb:1889806

Oh Lord ! Bless this, thy Hand Grenade -

That with it - Thy most blow thy enemies -

To tiny bits - In thy mercy.

Shame on you Bean - The holy grail is a great map :-)

Maybe I was a bit harsh about Holy Grail. I actually like hanging out in the gallery above the church. A nice spot to shoot and hide!

Bean

Bean
  • Tb:1889806

Hey Sakura - I recognize the Imperial War Museum pin. And I see you've been to Saratoga... I'm planning to go there this summer.

You must be near Colonial Williamsburg, because I see a couple pins from there. It's probably been 30 years since I've been there. But I remember it as a great living history place.

Sakura

Sakura
  • Steam:SakuraHaruno22
Yes I've been to those places and more. I love going to Williamsburg not just for the historical part but for the shopping. They have a great candy shop as well if you have a sweet tooth ;) I love getting marzipan there. Yes I'm not too far away from Williamsburg since you asked Bean :)

Edited by Sakura, 11 July 2013 - 11:36 AM.

Defender

Defender

• Bunker Members
  • 414 posts

ONE THING THO SAKURA , I DID NOT SEE A CAPTAIN AMERICA PIN IN YOUR COLLECTION DO I NEED TO SEND U ONE?HUM?

That got me laughing  :derisive:

• *CapTn* likes this

yep

yep

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 177 posts

good, and nice to know you better sakura :derisive:

• Sakura likes this

neurosis

neurosis

Will Become Famous Soon Enough

• Bunker Members
  • 1,776 posts

However - Can you tone down all the Dirty talk - My blood pressure can't take much more of your brazenness !

potty mouth potty mouth.. sakura has a potty mouth!   ;)

Nice article guys.. 

• Sakura likes this

RiotSquad

RiotSquad

• Bunker Members
  • 288 posts
  • Tb:4337191

Once again thanks for the latest BT :)

Don't wanna meet Sakura in a dark street, maybe she has a gun and shots the pidgeon from your head ;)

Iceland, one place I ever wanted to go :i-m_so_happy:

OldChap

OldChap

• Bunker Admins
  • 477 posts
  • Tb:1410130

Venice is a great ET map. In my experience, some of the closest and well-played matches have been fought on its streets and in its canals.

Nice choice Bean : Venice is absolutely one of the best maps in ET. So many objectives, no chance of doing shortcuts ^^ and the map is related to one of my favorite movies ;)

I did know that the last crusade was filmed at this location (previous post in here some years back), but thanks to this TBT, I just notiticed this yesterday: X also do marks the spot in the map... :D

Pin from "Hard Rock Cafe København", Sakura - im impressed ;)

Thanks Snoid and Bean - good job !
  • Bean likes this

Houwitzer

Houwitzer

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 186 posts

FUG!T!V3

FUG!T!V3

I have known Sakura for a while and she is one of the MOST AMAZING members that the Bunker community has! :thumbup: Yes, others are amazing too! :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snoid, bean, sakura