Sage

Sage

Still Considered a Newbie

• ET Mappers
  • 36 posts
  • Server:Bunker #4
Click to view battle stats

Hello my friends. :)

Now that Capuzzo beta 2 has been running a couple times on the server, I'd love to hear for your thoughts. I really want to finetune the map but I can not do it without your help. :)

What do you think about the "Wood bridge" at the barrier 1?

What do you think about the time add system. How should it be changed?

Anyone here who think that radio timer is not too short?

Thank you guys for being part of this project!

• peyote, Falkes and Roy_Nok like this

Sage

Sage

• ET Mappers
  • 36 posts
Come on my mates. There is no way I can ever finish this project if I do not get feedback and critics. Please. :|
  • Falkes likes this

peyote

peyote
  • Server:Bunker #2
so I tested it a bit myself..

- Limbo menu the blueprint objective is before the radio button
And the text for allies says, steal the objective and contact the pilot. Better something like, "contact the pilot, then steal the objective."

- For the radio, there is no antenna, though there is one at axis spawn.

- The pickaxe in the mine, in the mining cart is to bright. Or the cart is to dark.. :)

- The water pools, while I like the noise they make.. usefull, my brains has troubles with them, they make no sense in that desert.
Maybe put some palm leafes down, if its for the sound awareness..

- The objective run is a bit akward. Don't know if the way is to short or to long, or if there ain't enough cover. I have only played b1 though. Can't say for beta2.

- Its difficult to orient in the map, somehow the way for the tank looks always similar. The heights of the mountains left and right, there color, the palms. Some more variation could help. Maybe have the mountains get flatter and flatter till the airport. Instead of same height.
Or maybe the skybox could have more mountains, giving that detail to orient.

Will have a look again at it some other day, and check gameplay.

Sage

Sage

• ET Mappers
  • 36 posts
Thank you Peyote! I appreciate your feedback and take it into account. :)

peyote

peyote

So tested it again.. d'oh should test this with players.. lol.

- The wooden bridge, forgot to check that the first time, I don't know how it affects gameplay - but from visual I can tell.

It looks like its gona fall down any moment, the planks are a bit short on both sides, and there is nothing holding them.

Overall in that area I noticed, it is somehow difficult to know where you can go up on a roof and where not. I remember the first time I played capuzzo I was trying to find where to go up. Somehow I ended up sneaking past the enemy, and go up on axis side as allies. Cause there where to many of them camping our ways up, snipers amongst other sharpshooters.

Maybe if every house had a ladder up on some side?

As said I have not really a clue about the gameplay, have not played it enough - its more guessing.

- For the timelimit, first off, check if the someone has modified the time, and if so - don't do anything to it. Like if serveradmin has increased the timelimit in half of the map out of some reason. For example on bunker 2 its possible to vote the timelimit.

Then the total timelimit is 30mins. 10 +5 +5 +5 +5. Basically 5 different timelimits, and for each you can loose. Thats a lot of pressure/stress. I would go with a max of 3 or 2 parts. For 2 parts, starting with 15/10mins. If the team gets past the first tank barrier, +15/20mins.

And for 3 parts, starting with 10, and +10 after first tank barrier, and again +10 after blowing up first plane.

Overall, I dislike this timing stuff, if a team gets stuck - it either indicates uneven teams, or bad map design.

We made this for Minas Tirith, a total of 60mins, and for each gate +10 - but yeah that map I had say is a bad design. Mostly only one way to go.

- Radio timings, 30 sec is ok, just like a dyna, its seems even easier then dyna - since you can 'instantly' defuse it. On the other hand, ways are long from spawn, and getting up there inside then room is also a troublesome way. So maybe 30sec might be to short, if compared to defusing a dyna.

- The Radio itself, is a little strange (using etmain mod), I had difficulties getting the button pressed; while it actually showed a hand all the time, it didnt work, seems like I have to be in a precise location to get it working.

- There are 3 axis spawns at last stage, in hangar at garage and one in a house. Its a bit much, and the garage spawn is on the way where allies come, and probably get in to get ammo and stuff. Seems not so fair for either side. If sk is allowed, then thats a strange spot. And if sk isnt allowed then yeah.. it happens anyway.

There is the building with the antenna and in front, there is where I thought axis can only spawn, maybe have there different options inside the house to spawn?

- Lastly it seems to me that doors are really troublesome. When there are multiple ways for the same place, and one of them is through doors - ok. But if the only way in/out is through doors - that is strange. It breaks fluidity, and its also what makes it really hard to get inside that radio room.

I had once made a mapscript for mlb_hotchkiss, which simply removed all doors, and I still think that map plays much better without doors. One might think axis can attack now the spawns of allies and such, but the truth is you get better out from spawn, since you can see airstrike and all, and run better out. It seemed more 'fun' overall.

QuQu

QuQu

Postin Ain't Easy

• Bunker Admins
  • 721 posts

Hi :)

As i wrote  to B4 after u released this version 

Looks nice .. backround is good, like Owen says wink.gif
Was that "that stone" .. or u did fix stones sizes too ? We didnt have time to test - war was cheesy.gif
But i did try one place - there visual edge was in correct place.
That rooftop "bridge" is  good  -not so easy to trickplant anymore.
Would like radio timer 44sec more.. But lets see how this plays out with more then 3vs4.
Also lets see bout time-adding system. We basically let allies thru first barrier to see what next smiley.gif
Maybe would be better that third "time-add" share to barriers.. Lets see.

Thanks for this  smiley.gif Its nice  - that backround specially smiley.gif

Almost 2 months later i can say :

Backround is still good :) , stone edges are there where u see thous , havnt seen much trickplant what works on roof - i guess that bridge helps ,

timer .. 44 sec was better ( u can disable from spawning only one way - thru roofs , with dj, enter from window ) otherwise very hard.

Time  - i havnt play not one time where tank gets stuck behind barrier and map ends cause of that.. so it works, at least ticking clock pushes allies play more obj :D

What i have noticed - that u cant plant mines on tank way all places ( maybe its not changed, but i run to thous spots lately )

Didnt know that axis has 3 points to spawn at end .. Will look.

I like this map , was it old version or this . Not much difference ( except stones ) for gameplay . 

I like thous main road sideareas, using them u can gain pretty decent speed ;)

Bout ladders to roof, what Pey suggested .. there are barrels and some other stuff to use, if u dont have good speed to just jump from ground.

Also u can jump just from ground to ammo/med hut roof at 1st barrier. Sure settings on servers bout dj are different.

I saw one pretty fuukedup version of ur 1st beta. Where covert was able to blow barriers :/  Terrible

As i see it, its pretty good balanced map - u play as axis or allies. Why they needed to ruin it like that ..

See u

Sage

Sage

• ET Mappers
  • 36 posts

Thank you guys for your thoughts! :)

What do you think about adding a constructible/satchelable RAMP at the balcony of Radio house? After all not all servers have doublejump.

peyote

peyote

Yes it sounds good, but I am favour of destroying things - so something which could be destroyed, maybe from the inside! Would also give 30 sec to defuse it again.

Mongo

Mongo

Sticking Around

• Bunker Admins
  • 1,058 posts

This map is nicely done and I like that the plane has to land and then fly away when you get the object as Allies.
But I'm not a big fan choosing to play it. The reason that I have experienced and feel is that it only gets fight close to and at the tank barrier 1 and 2 and in the last part of the radio room calling on the plane and to take the object to the plane.
It's very long distances that tanks just transported.

Played through the map myself to take a closer look because even if I have played it many times, can I have missed things and thought about the following changes in order to create a little less only transportation and more fight.

First purple ring (tank movement).
When the tank has passed the barrier one, I suggest that Axis spawn in the house with the red dot and the Allies in the house with the blue dot.
These spawn are until the tank crossed the blue line. After that, it returns to normal spawn which is now after barrier 1 is passed.
The green line is thought to lower the hill a little so that you can go up from both sides but still do not see from the flat ground level.
I hope this can give a little more fight in the city.

Second purple ring (tank movement).
When the tank has passed the second Barriere, I suggest that Axis spawn in the house with the red dot and the Allies in the house with the blue dot.
These spawn are until the tank crossed the blue line. After that third purple.

Third purple (tank movement).
After passing blue line in purple ring 2 the Axis spawn is moved to the CP house (Allies retained).
These spawn are until the tank crossed the blue line. After that it get the ending spawn that is now.
I hope that the second and third may give a little more fight in tank transport between the barrier 2 and the airport.

I like the thing at end that Axis get 2 closer spawn if Allies not have CP built but it normaly newer any that destroy it because the risk off spawn killing.
The house with the orange dot, I propose to be new place for CP to avoid spawnkill. it will be easier for CO and Engy try to destroy it in order to win back the 2 spawn closer to the Allies spawn.
This might lead to make it difficult for the Allies, but maybe a few more Tunnels in the airport area can fix it if it occurs.

During the last stage that the tanks take so you pass a line and if you sit in the machine gun tower, it would be fun if you got hurt or killed (throat cut).

Attached File  capuzzo_b2_cc_2.jpg   22.08KB   0 downloads

The proposal with a buildable and destructible ramp can be good.

Sage

Sage

• ET Mappers
  • 36 posts

Thank you for your feed back! :) I am having doubts with my idea of building a ramp. Since it would really probably be almost more useful for Axis than Allies. Quite like the left Fortification on Fueldump (bad design in my view).

This map is nicely done and I like that the plane has to land and then fly away when you get the object as Allies.
But I'm not a big fan choosing to play it. The reason that I have experienced and feel is that it only gets fight close to and at the tank barrier 1 and 2 and in the last part of the radio room calling on the plane and to take the object to the plane.
It's very long distances that tanks just transported.

Played through the map myself to take a closer look because even if I have played it many times, can I have missed things and thought about the following changes in order to create a little less only transportation and more fight.

First purple ring (tank movement).
When the tank has passed the barrier one, I suggest that Axis spawn in the house with the red dot and the Allies in the house with the blue dot.
These spawn are until the tank crossed the blue line. After that, it returns to normal spawn which is now after barrier 1 is passed.
The green line is thought to lower the hill a little so that you can go up from both sides but still do not see from the flat ground level.
I hope this can give a little more fight in the city.

Second purple ring (tank movement).
When the tank has passed the second Barriere, I suggest that Axis spawn in the house with the red dot and the Allies in the house with the blue dot.
These spawn are until the tank crossed the blue line. After that third purple.

Third purple (tank movement).
After passing blue line in purple ring 2 the Axis spawn is moved to the CP house (Allies retained).
These spawn are until the tank crossed the blue line. After that it get the ending spawn that is now.
I hope that the second and third may give a little more fight in tank transport between the barrier 2 and the airport.

I like the thing at end that Axis get 2 closer spawn if Allies not have CP built but it normaly newer any that destroy it because the risk off spawn killing.
The house with the orange dot, I propose to be new place for CP to avoid spawnkill. it will be easier for CO and Engy try to destroy it in order to win back the 2 spawn closer to the Allies spawn.
This might lead to make it difficult for the Allies, but maybe a few more Tunnels in the airport area can fix it if it occurs.

During the last stage that the tanks take so you pass a line and if you sit in the machine gun tower, it would be fun if you got hurt or killed (throat cut).

attachicon.gifcapuzzo_b2_cc_2.jpg

The proposal with a buildable and destructible ramp can be good.

The spawn locations have been subject of talk, thinking and testing for 5 years now. Your suggestions seems nice, but I fear to do such a dramatic changes anymore. And also I could not add all those points since I would run out of entities. :(

But enchanging the battle between Barrier2 and CP would be cool, it is not really useful part now. It is basicly as short as possible and Airport part is limiting it's space.

I'd love to add that flat part into the mountain between barrier1 and 2, but unfortunately it would break the FPS. :(

9 players out of 10 has asked me for moving the CP closer to the Airport, not other way around. I think it has been moved closer to Airport after every version. :ball:

Sage

Sage

• ET Mappers
  • 36 posts

I solved the radio house thing by this. When the tank shoots the plane, the wall behind it will collapse a bit, allowing players to jump to the balcony from that. Then there is a small wooden thingie under the window of radio room making the jump through the window easy (without doublejump). Also I moved the big antenna next to the Radio house and added ladder on it so you can climb and jump from top of it.

2 new routes and also the inside doors were removed.

I made the radio counter 45 secs now, but I wonder if it would be too long now that the access is better. What do you think?