10 replies to this topic

EZFrag

EZFrag

Will Become Famous Soon Enough

• Bunker Admins
  • 1,753 posts
  • Server:Unselected
Click to view battle stats

In my house, my bedroom is at the opposite end of the house from my computer. Thus, wifi signal is weak. Also, I have some devices wirelessly connected in my living room (middle of the house), that i wanted to have a stronger signal. So, I bought a lynksys wireless router, and placed it in my living room. It is hard wired to my dsl modem and is set in bridge mode. It worked great for about a year....but now things aren't connecting. Or, the connection drops frequently. Mrs Frag's laptop can't stayed connected to it in our bedroom. Also, my 2 tivo boxes keep losing connection.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

djbo

djbo
  • Server:Bunker #2

Reset the bugger. When my router starts acting up I usually just pull out the plug en wait a few seconds, then connect it again and in almost all cases it runs like a charm again :)

Don't ask me why. Tried tapping it like "the fons" but for me that somehow doesn't work :)

Else push the reset button :)

Edited by djbo, 18 September 2013 - 10:52 AM.

EZFrag

EZFrag

• Bunker Admins
  • 1,753 posts

I reset all the time.  Unplug, wait 30 second, replug. Works for a short amount of time. I just read on a site somewhere check the channel it's set on. 6 and 11 are the best, the rest is prone to interference.

Any other tips?

Last time I reset it, it felt really hot. Wonder if it's overheating. I have it prominently displayed on top of a end table. Open to air????

-=BRASIL=-

-=BRASIL=-

I had this kind of problems and chose to replace the antenna, which is located on the unit. Was a 3dBi of 9dBi (i pay +-us$15)  and this problem was no more. The cost is infinitely down to this exchange already you can do yourself without any technical assistance to do so. It is vital before attempting to barter or purchase is whether the current antenna uses the router can be easily changed as there are some that have certain impediments for such a change is made. Routers that have done this type of substitution are, mostly, the DLink. I hope this can help you or any another on future.

And put the kids back to fun :) i miss they

RiotSquad

RiotSquad

Becoming a Part of the Forum

• Bunker Members
  • 300 posts
  • Tb:4337191
  • Server:Bunker #4

Hm, if even resets don't work anymore, it sounds like hardware failure. Router can get really warm (depends on traffic and built in WLAN card) but hot sounds like something's broken.

Linksys had great routers (btw it is/was possible to run Linux firmware on them, so you were able to give more power on the antenna outputs ;) ) but after the WRT54xx series, quality wasn't the same.

The idea with better antennas from Brasil will help to increase the level at devices, but it seems it worked before so why not now with the original antenna(s)?

I would recommend buying a new one. The price for a good router isn't that high and they have nice features like USB ports for printers, harddiscs, .....

If I were near you, I would try to measure and fix it, but... yeah ;)

Another problem worldwide came up the last years. 2,4GHz router were installed everywhere and so it's sometimes really hard ro find a free channel. Today it works much better to have a router with 2,4GHZ and 5GHz WLAN. If the device (laptop etc.) has a suitable card for it, it will take 2,4 or 5GHz.

New one could help to have better level in some areas of the house too.

Some I played with a while ago were TP-Link routers -> http://www.tp-link.u...nd N600 or N750

Easy to config and good to work with so far (also heard that from others). Netgear (never liked Netgear years ago)  brought some nice Dualband router (with built-in antennas) with Linux firmware already installed.

hth

EZFrag

EZFrag

• Bunker Admins
  • 1,753 posts

I have the dual router, e4200. The research I have done says that if you have cordless phones, they'll interfere with it. So I manually changed the channel, will see how that does.

Another issue I am having is that Mrs Frag doesn't get any email to her phone at home, even though she is connected to wifi and has access to 4 glte. My iphone 4 doesn't have a problem.

RiotSquad

RiotSquad

• Bunker Members
  • 300 posts

I have the dual router, e4200. The research I have done says that if you have cordless phones, they'll interfere with it. So I manually changed the channel, will see how that does.

Another issue I am having is that Mrs Frag doesn't get any email to her phone at home, even though she is connected to wifi and has access to 4 glte. My iphone 4 doesn't have a problem.

As I found the allowed frequencies for cordless phones in the USA, this could be one reason:

In the United States, seven frequency bands have been allocated by the Federal Communications Commission for uses that include cordless phones. These are:

• 1.9 GHz (1880–1900 MHz) (used for DECT communications outside the U.S.)
  • 1.9 GHz (1920-1930 MHz) (developed in 1993 and allocated U.S. in October 2005, esp. re DECT 6.0)
  • 2.4 GHz (allocated in 1998)
  • 5.8 GHz (allocated in 2003 due to crowding on the 2.4 GHz band).

You got the cordless phones after installing the router?

Also possible that a neighbour got a new cordless phone system :shifty:

The Iphone problem with the email, sounds more like a config problem on the phone to me....

Creepy Geek

Creepy Geek

• Bunker Admins
  • 2,968 posts

Hi,

I had this similar problem and what I could tell the router was degrading in time...

Yes that sounds weird but people on my work (the smart ones) told me routers have the problem they perform less and lesser in time.

I bought myself a Netgear WND4000 and must admit it does it job very well. I use the 5Ghz band so I have no problems finding a free channel.

(actually my computer is wired but my gf has multi devices that use Wireless connection)

The router is also very usable as a NAS (it's USB external drive is configurable as a network storage)

For the most easiest part - buy an WiFi repeater to get more radius.

Hope it helped a bit ;)

RiotSquad

RiotSquad

• Bunker Members
  • 300 posts

His router seems to work just a year, that's not much even for the new Linksys/Cisco generation routers.

The Netgear seem to do a nice job, so maybe you try to find the problem with your Linksys/Cisco or a get a new one with 2,4 & 5GHz (or place LAN cables in the every room ;) )

WiFi repeater is a nice idea, but another power guzzler the world won't need ;)

peyote

peyote
  • Server:Bunker #2

If you somehow can, replace wifi by cables, and use a minimum of wifi, maybe for phones and such.

You can try this tool, free for home use, http://www.metageek....ducts/inssider/

to get an overview of usage, and signal quality.

You say you have hard wired the lynksys router to your modem and set it to bridge mode? Does that mean the modem provides dhcp/nat?

The more devices you have using wifi, the worse it will get.

Recently I bought an Asus router rtn66u  to help my the modem of the isp, but it got only worse. Removed that thing, and back to modem only; probably I would have needed also to upgrade the wifi clients :/.

*CapTn*

*CapTn*

• Members
  • 1,929 posts
  • Steam:captn3
  • Server:Bunker #1

is it hot or warm..??

if its hot .. id saybuy new one its toast. is the bandwidth wide open.. or is it limited?

pick it up shake it does it rattle if so time for new one.lol

you could checxk lines wires going in and coming out. some times one goes bad. also u could check to see if some one else in your neighbor hood has infact got your wifi password.lol

Edited by *CapTn*, 28 September 2013 - 12:20 PM.