Total Posts: 299,754

Total Members: 4,700

Newest Member: Silas93

Most Online: 194

Spammers Stopped: 39,519

The_Bean_Files.jpg

THE REAL “WURZBURG RADAR”[/size]
 [/size]
“Wurzburg Radar” is a top-ten Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory map, in terms of popularity. It appears on most server rotations. The Allies must advance to a radar facility, steal two parts and deliver them to a waiting getaway truck. Alternate versions of the map also require the Allies to destroy two additional radars. But did you know that the map is loosely based on a real commando raid from World War II?[/size]
 [/size]
The Germans were behind the times, when it came to radar development. But when German mobile, ground-based radar installations began popping-up in occupied Europe, Allied scientists became curious. They wanted to get their geeky little hands on an example. World War II was a war of science and technological development, in addition to that of bullets and bombs.[/size]
 [/size]
These German radars were called “Wurzburg” radars after the German town in which they were developed. You know, like Buffalo sauce. The Wurzburg radar could direct the Luftwaffe towards incoming squadrons of Allied bombers, and they could also be used to find the correct range for guns. [/size]
 [/size]
Low-level reconnaissance Spitfires were sent to investigate likely sites of these radar systems. One such site, photographed below, was located in northern France at a place called Bruneval. Allied command decided to conduct a raid on this site in February 1942 in order to “steal the radar parts!”[/size]

Bruneval_Wurzburg_1_zps3a226913.jpg

Note in the photograph above, the radar is located in front of the seaside mansion, aimed towards Britain. It was located directly on the path between the Allied aerodromes and the industrial\military targets in Germany that were being bombed, day and night, by Allied air forces.[/size]
 [/size]
The raid was called “Operation Biting.” British paratroops were to drop onto the site, steal the parts, and then escape by sea evacuation. That plan was a lot harder than that portrayed on the Wolfenstein map, where the Allies approach by land, and escape by truck! In reality, the raid was very successful. A perfect airborne drop a few miles from Bruneval, intense but brief fire-fights at both the radar installation and at the beach, and the raiding force escaped with the parts while suffering only a small number of casualties.[/size]
 [/size]
But the raid produced more than just radar parts. The Allied commandos also captured a German radar technician during the raid, basically kidnapping him. He was brought back to Britain and assisted in Allied comprehension of the Germans radar and how they were used.[/size]

Beck_zps0b24e907.jpg

IMG_20140308_161606_zps781681e6.jpg

IoW BECK

Note from Snoid:

I'm trying something different this month.  I'm presenting the April interview in an audio format rather than the traditional written format. I conducted the interview over a phone link from a production studio at the radio station I work for and a location in Colorado.  I hope this is acceptable to the Bunker Community and feedback regarding the new format as well as interview content is appreciated.

Below is a link to the mp3. It lasts 14 1/2 minutes.

http://bunker.aaxxss...unker-Brian.mp3

Editorial

It is my belief that there will be a core group of Wolfenstein ET players, who will want servers to play this game, for many years to come. I would like to see the Bunker Community reach out to other communities or clans in an effort to form strong friendships, or even something more.  I'm not advocating recruitment efforts to steal players from other groups... BUT if another group were to dissolve, those players left without a home should know there are other communities out there that are still running servers.

So I propose forming an association or union of servers, communities and clans much like the states in the United States or provinces and territories in Canada.  Each of the clans or communities would continue to run their own servers but the whole group would be stronger because they would have ties to each other. I know this may not be a perfect solution but doing nothing would be worse.

Edited by peyote, 29 March 2014 - 06:29 PM.

• Jecoliah, leaDpoisAn and RiotSquad like this

peyote

peyote
  • Server:Bunker #2
Click to view battle stats

Most interesting the article aobut Würzburg radar, thanks for researching that!

Looking forward to listen to the interview, but those mp3 links ain't working, please send em to my email account, I will fix it for you. And put em inside the post of yours.

• Snoid likes this

Bean

Bean
  • Tb:1889806
  • Server:Bunker #1
What a great idea to have an audio interview. Can't wait for the audio links to be fixed!

Snoid

Snoid

Looking forward to listen to the interview, but those mp3 links ain't working, please send em to my email account, I will fix it for you. And put em inside the post of yours.

I keep trying to teach this old dog new tricks... but sometimes it takes several tries.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

peyote

peyote

I keep trying to teach this old dog new tricks... but sometimes it takes several tries.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

No inconvenience at all, you are very welcome!
Thanks for the interview and work! Will listen to it tomorrow in train - yay! Also thx to Beck!

G0rt

G0rt

Galactic Policeman

• S Moderator
  • 3,605 posts
  • Steam:G0rt2002
  • Server:Bunker #10

Another great edition.  Nice writeup on Radar.  Thanks for the history lesson Bean.  Very good interview with Brian (aka Beck).  Thanks for sharing sir!

ontheqt

ontheqt

Postin Ain't Easy

• Bunker Members
  • 584 posts
  • Xfire:shrikester

Finally got to hear Snoid's voice.  Very nice interview with Beck.  Beck has a wonderful attitude and perspective.

Nice article by Bean also.  I was especially intrigued about the part of the Spitfire reconnaissance planes.

Good job!

neurosis

neurosis

Will Become Famous Soon Enough

• Bunker Members
  • 1,776 posts

Loved it!

men-on.jpg

Great interview.. Snoid, you are a natural.  Nice radio voice.

Beck!  wow.. great attitude. Ive talked to you on t/s a bit but had no idea.  Thanks for the interview and opportunity to get to know you a little better.

Jecoliah

Jecoliah

I Come Here Often

• Bunker Admins
  • 3,297 posts

I have to agree that this 11 year old game is "much" more appealing then the newer games.

From RTCW to the newest mods and all the enormous custom Map content available.

And for those of you that never mapped or used the Splash Damage mappers forums, there is another entire ET community out there.

ET has always had staying power that other games just do not have.

It's up to all of us (that Love the game) to keep it alive!

Jec

Edited by Jecoliah, 30 March 2014 - 03:46 AM.

• *CapTn* likes this

killjoy

killjoy

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 783 posts

Great Read & Audio - Thanks for sharing :-)

FUG!T!V3

FUG!T!V3

Great interview & audio Snoid! I do hear the professional radio voice as well! Nice to know you better Beck!

iamthepopeofdope

iamthepopeofdope

Still Considered a Newbie

• Members
  • 22 posts

good stuff. 

Is it just me or the end of the ITW was very abrupt?

Snoid

Snoid

good stuff. 

Is it just me or the end of the ITW was very abrupt?

Thanks for the interest and comment...

The interview was edited to clean up pregnant pauses... ums... and other distracting components of casual human speech. And yes... the end appears to be abrupt... but that really was the end of the interview.  When Brian (BECK) was done answering that last question... I ended the interview on what I think is the essence of his message.

He said, "This is more than just playing a game to me. It's a community thing and it's always been that way for me. Getting to know players and playing with the same people and considering them friends. People who I'd hang out with in real life."

We both agree on this philosophy and I think it's a perfect way to end the interview.

<IoW> BECK

<IoW> BECK

• Members
  • 40 posts

Thanks for the kind words everyone.  I enjoyed doing this interview and getting to know Snoid a bit more.   And yeah, the radio-format of the inverview is awesome, Snoid has the perfect radio voice so it makes me feel like a badass to be interviewed by a real reporter :)   Its so interesting to see the community of players that IoW has and Bunker has -- the age range or people, people from all walks of life, professionals, students, family oriented people.   I have no doubt that ET will prosper simply because the best people are left.   Certainly we all have friends from years past that would be nice to have back again, but if you're reading this now, you probably love ET and don't have any plans to abandon the game for something "better".   There are dozens of other "better" shooters with flashy graphics and realistic physics and full servers brimming with eager players --- but we love our ET and as long as we're all still showing up to play, and we stay strong as a great community of ET players then I see no reason why we can't continue to have ggs and fun times.  

@sir

Yeah, I blabbed for about 30 minutes and Steve had to cut me off in the interest of time LOL.   Once I start talking about this game, it can be hard to shut me up.   He did a great job with the edit and I'm very happy for the way it turned out.  

• *CapTn* and Bill like this

Sakura

Sakura
  • Steam:SakuraHaruno22

It's always fun to read up on members plus a history lesson on Radar. I like the change in pace where we had an audio interview versus a typed one. Good choice Snoid. Overall, another great issue of the TBT :)

• FUG!T!V3 likes this

Bean

Bean
  • Tb:1889806
Finally got a chance to listen to the interview. WOW. I am super impressed.

How could anyone not feel the utmost respect and admiration for Beck's feel-good answers to the questions? Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Most of us are probably similar, in that most of our real-life friends and family don't really "get" our fascination with Wolfenstein ET and our clans\communities. It was fantastic to hear these thing being discussed, as if it was a real radio segment. Kudos to you, Snoid.

And such a professional-sounding interview! Snoid, has anyone told you that your voice sounds like Art Bell, the creator and former host of "Coast to Coast AM"?
  • *CapTn* and <IoW> BECK like this

<IoW> BECK

<IoW> BECK

• Members
  • 40 posts

Heh, my gamer friends and family scoff when I talk about ET: "You STILL play that???"   Yup.  I do. 

• Snoid, Bean and *CapTn* like this

<IoW> Sin

<IoW> Sin
  • Xfire:slutydrew
  • Steam:09acolby

iow is lucky to have a leader like this.

Bit of an understatement. I used to be an admin in IoW and let me tell you, the amount of work and effort he puts into the clan is downright crazy. Beck is the living, breathing soul of IoW.

For any of you that have played on our server and Beck ISN'T there, when he shows up, the entire dynamic of the server changes, people try harder for objectives, and are in better moods. I can think of only a few others that have that kind of impact, and they are more on the negative side(think sneak, raider, opiate).

And if any of you have been on our website you'll have noticed our stat tracker....which was completely coded from the ground up by Beck....by himself.....in his free time. Along with that he also coded our player tracker, which we have used A LOT in catching hackers that try to change their IP/GUID. It works amazing, not many can get past us, even with spoofs.

For those of you thinking im kissing ass, no. You can ask any of our members and they will tell you the same. We all feel the same way about him. He's always been there for us. 

So CapTn, yes we are very lucky to have him. Anyone in Beck's life is lucky to have him if you ask me :).

• Bean and Bill like this

<IoW> BECK

<IoW> BECK

• Members
  • 40 posts

Thanks Sin, you're making me blush.  I only do what I do because I love the game, the clan and the community.   That -- and I harbor an unhealthy obsession with ET :P   I'm nothing without friends like you who dedicate hours of their own time to play and participate in the community, help make our server a fun and welcoming place, and who generously donate their own money to keep the lights on.   Members like you and others make my job easy :)

Sakura

Sakura
  • Steam:SakuraHaruno22

Beck is an awesome person all around. Just saying ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snoid, bean, beck