:sfrown:   - Community Statistics -  :cray:

:read:

Total Posts: 301,077

Total Members: 4,711

Newest Member: Barley

Most Online: 194

Spammers Stopped: 44,073

TBT Editorial: Snoid

It has become apparent interest in the Bunker Community, and in the game Wolfenstein ET, has declined rapidly over the last six months. Before that, a slow decline was obvious due to the age of Wolfenstein ET, newer games on the market, and other factors beyond our control. Those who run this community have done and continue to do everything possible to to make gaming on our servers a pleasant and enjoyable experience. The changes we have made over the years have not pleased everyone... but have been decisions made following community input. While efforts to boost participation will continue into the near future, the final outcome is uncertain. Therefore I have decided to suspend my involvement in this newsletter. My friend and associate, Bean, who has contributed greatly to the popularity of this online publication, agrees with this decision and will add a personal message of his own after his final Bean Files report.

It has been my extreme pleasure to have furnished the community with The Bunker Times postings beginning in April of 2011 and ending in June of 2014, a little over three years. 

I will continue hanging around the Bunker Community as long as it exists, and will always check to see if the Bunker servers are populated before attempting to find activity on other servers. Although I'm looking into other on-line multi-player games, Wolfenstein ET will always be my favorite (retro) game. Sincerely, Snoid

The_Bean_Files.jpg

THE LAST ALLIED CASUALTY OF WORLD WAR II

Last month we told the story of Piotr Konieczka, the first Allied (Polish) soldier to die in World War II. In the comment section of that article, Killjoy, partially in jest, asked about the last Allied soldier who died during that conflict.

Ask, and you shall receive! Killjoy threw down the challenge; the Bean Files research team rose to meet it.

Like last month’s subject, it’s easy to narrow things down a bit. The last Allied soldier to die during World War II must’ve met his fate in the Pacific theatre of operations, against the Japanese. The war there raged there for months after the war in Europe ended in May 1945.

Another wrinkle is how to define “the last soldier to die.” Do we include soldiers who were wounded, but then died after the end of the war? And what about soldiers killed in guerrilla actions that also occurred after the end of the war? Complicated stuff, this is. Thanks Killjoy – you’ve made us earn our keep this month.

We figure we should keep it simple: We consider only Allied soldiers who were killed right before the official end of the war. Therefore, the sad honour goes to Private Edward O’Dell Mullins Jr., pictured below.

E3414A23-EBC7-4DD2-932B-A6503C4895EF_zps

Mullins was born and bred in Kentucky, USA. He was a bricklayer, carpenter, and later, when he moved to near Cincinnati, Ohio, he was a farm labourer. Due to his employment on a farm, he was exempt from the wartime draft for quite some time. By late 1944 he decided to join the US Army.

After his basic and other training, he was placed in the 32nd Infantry Division, also known as the Red Arrow Division. He arrived in the Pacific theatre, on the front lines, in early March 1945.

Mullins was an expert with the Browning Automatic Rifle, otherwise known as the BAR. In a letter home, he described his BAR in simple yet effective terms: “It sure can sling a lot of lead!” He used his BAR in defeating a Japanese ambush in the Philippines, for which he was awarded a Bronze Star of Honour, in July 1945.

On the early morning of August 14, 1945, Mullins and his platoon were in a defensive position in Bagabag, Philippines. Pockets of Japanese soldiers were positioned there, and elsewhere in the Pacific. Several hundred miles away, Japanese and Allied leaders had recently decided to declare a cease-fire, which would start at 7:00 that morning. The cease-fire was a prelude to the Japanese surrender. At 6:15 that morning, Mullins’ unit was suddenly ordered to withdraw from their position.

As Mullins rose from his foxhole, a Japanese sniper carefully took aim at his head. He slowly pulled the trigger. With a single shot to the head, Mullins died instantly, only 45 minutes before the start of the cease-fire that would end the war.

To make matters worse, one year later Mullins’ only brother – also a soldier – was also killed. He died in an accident in England, where American troops were still stationed.

Edward O’Dell Mullins Jr. was the last of over 400,000 American soldiers to die in the war. May they rest in peace.

------ 0 ------

As noted elsewhere in this issue, "The Bunker Times" is going on hiatus for the time being. This month marks three years that I've been writing for The Times, first with general articles and later under the banner "The Bean Files." It's been a blast. I consider myself lucky to have worked closely with Snoid, an officer and a gentleman if there ever was one. I hope you enjoy this last article! Bean

Further Postings Of TBT Are Suspended

until interest in the Bunker Community is revived.

Edited by Snoid, 10 September 2014 - 04:44 AM.

PATRIOT

PATRIOT

Sticking Around

• Bunker Admins
  • 1,073 posts
  • Server:Unselected
Click to view battle stats

So sad to hear this guys but i understand. Also the time of year has alot to do with populating servers when the warmer months are here. I firmly beleive we weill be back in fighting force again soon after the summer months have gone, the history has always shown that. 

With that said, Thank both of you for all of your time and effort in creating Bunker Readers a place to meet and greet players on a great game as ET. 

ontheqt

ontheqt

Postin Ain't Easy

• Bunker Members
  • 584 posts
  • Xfire:shrikester
  • Server:Bunker #1

Thanks for the great contributions.  Sorry to see the suspension.

Mongo

Mongo

Sticking Around

• Bunker Admins
  • 1,076 posts
  • Server:Bunker #2

Thanks Snoid for your work. Always nice to read this. Thanks to all the rest also that make this.

killjoy

killjoy

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 783 posts
  • Server:Bunker #2

You Honour me :-)

I do love a bit of Trivia - & I loved & deeply appreciated the contribution both you lovely gents made to the Bunker community - Ta very much

• Bean likes this

JaimeReTypo

JaimeReTypo

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 208 posts

Thank you for your service.

Polish cow tipper

Polish cow tipper

Becoming a Part of the Forum

• Bunker Members
  • 409 posts

I loved reading these every month, sad its been halted for awhile

nuescht

nuescht

Hi, My Name Is..

• Bunker Members
  • 10 posts

Thx snoid. Was a pleasure to read it.

Masterworld

Masterworld

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 191 posts
Shame that this has come to an end!!

*CapTn*

*CapTn*

Will Become Famous Soon Enough

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  • Steam:captn3

it was a job well done by both of you and will be missed ..

i dissagree on the people who made this place still even active members of this place tho.. others have stepped up. thx guys for a great gaming community .

<IoW> Sin

<IoW> Sin
  • Xfire:slutydrew
  • Steam:09acolby

Just got done reading through a bunch of them and now they stop making them! I'll try and read the rest of them, they're still new to me damnit!

• Snoid likes this

Ace

Ace

Becoming a Part of the Forum

• Bunker Members
  • 307 posts

Thanks guys!

Jecoliah

Jecoliah

I Come Here Often

• Bunker Admins
  • 3,297 posts

Maybe some Special Editions if warranted in the future???

The "Times" has been a Great Service to the community, Thank's to all that contributed.

Jec

Snoid

Snoid

I hope nobody is misinterpreting my comments. I'm not quitting... I'm putting a hold on further issues until the Bunker Community is revived.  I'm trying to think positively about this.  When I see a re-population of our servers and more activity in the forum, I'll make a decision at that time whether I want to continue as editor or let someone younger with new ideas take over and I'll help with my interviews etc.  We would also have to ask whether Bean is interesting in continuing his series as well.  I'm not leaving unless the site shuts down and the servers go away.  I hope I'm clear with this...

FreiQUEBEC

FreiQUEBEC

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 153 posts

It was predictable with a depopulated forum. This game getting old and new players are extremely hard to find. Many are left and some are back. Yes its sad to see and inevitable, Hoping best day in future. Snoid and Bean your work was awesome. Once again thank you for all!!  :thumbup:

G0rt

G0rt

Galactic Policeman

• S Moderator
  • 3,605 posts
  • Steam:G0rt2002
  • Server:Bunker #10

Thanks for the awesome effort.  All editions were outstanding!

Bean

Bean
  • Tb:1889806

We would also have to ask whether Bean is interesting in continuing his series as well.

I suppose we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, assuming the engineers have constructed it!

Thanks to all for the kind words. Much appreciated.

iamthepopeofdope

iamthepopeofdope

Still Considered a Newbie

• Members
  • 22 posts

You did a great job with the Bunker Times. Even for someone not a member of the almighty B, it was nice to get to read and know about your players.

I hope it will come back.

Rasium

Rasium
  • Server:Unselected

Thx Snoid, Bean (and everyone else) for making The Bunker Times! I enjoyed reading them and I hope there will be new ones some day soon.

AJdaGJ

AJdaGJ

Hi, My Name Is..

• Members
  • 6 posts

To be honoust, I haven't been around here for quite some time. But from time to time I remember "the good old days" at bunker (like the mute jacknife :D )... Have to admit that this is the first time I've heard of The Bunker Times, but seeing this place still exists you most definitly had some influence over the last few years. Thank you!

• Snoid likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snoid, bean