Bill

Postin Ain't Easy

• Bunker Admins
  • 540 posts
  • Server:Bunker #1
Click to view battle stats

If you're playing under Windows 8 or 8.1, make sure you apply this fix:

http://support.micro....com/kb/2908279

Specifically it says it's only for Windows 8.1, but I was having a tough time with Windows 8 also.  You don't need to worry about applying the hotfix on that page, because it's actually included if you keep Windows up-to-date.

You can try using the Microsoft Fix It program to create an exception for your ET.EXE.  Or you can do it my way:

Find ET.EXE.  Right-click, Properties, Compatibility

CHECK the box for Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

OK

Then run REGEDIT, and find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers.

Edit the entry for C:\...\ET.EXE.  It should already say:

~ HIGHDPIAWARE

Add one word to the end (separated with a space), so it says this instead:

~ HIGHDPIAWARE NoDTToDITMouseBatch

Then run:

Rundll32 apphelp.dll,ShimFlushCache

NOTE: This affects your own user account only.  If you want to affect the whole machine, first click the "Change settings for all users" button before checking the box.  Then in REGEDIT, use the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE branch instead of HKEY_CURRENT_USER.  And make sure the command prompt that you use to run RUNDLL32 was opened using Run as Administrator.

Then, just for good measure, do this again:

Find ET.EXE.  Right-click, Properties, Compatibility

UNCHECK the box for Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

Apply

CHECK the box for Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

OK

I haven't really don't a double-blind study, but playing B1 has gone from almost unbearable (i.e. can't kill anything unless I'm a medic) to actually kind of fun again.  I assumed the problem was the mod since I have no confidence in its developers, but hopefully this fixes the biggest problem I was having.

If anyone has a better tutorial, please post it.  I'm usually not good at explaining this sort of thing.  :P  BTW the original credit goes to peyote since I found it on a random post he made somewhere else.  :)

Edited by Bill, 29 June 2014 - 11:03 AM.

• Mateos and AADrusilmTall like this

Mateos

Mateos

On The Road To Success

• ET Mappers
  • 103 posts
  • Xfire:mateos1
  • Server:Unselected
Click to view battle stats

Yes, it was reported over at Splash Damage forums a while ago, nice tutorial, thank you :)