Snoid's computer issues

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Snoid

Snoid
  • Server:Bunker #1
Click to view battle stats

Hi all...

Taken from Monty Python's, Holy Grail :pope:... "I'm not dead yet" :skull: but my computer is having some age issues.  :cray: I'm hoping to build a new one some time late in the 1st quarter of 2016... maybe in April.  Can't do it now because the Snoid Manor is undergoing some renovation work :construction:... replacing trim damaged by dry rot and painting all out side wood trim and the garage.  I'm doing most of the work myself :shock:... but it's still rather expensive. 

Right now every time I try to play ET or watch videos... the computer chokes and kicks me :verymad: and reboots.  It seems to be okay if I don't stress the graphics card.

Getting ready for another Wisconsin winter :snowman:... and I hope everyone is in good health and spirits.  :banana:

Snoid :wave:

G0rt

G0rt

Galactic Policeman

• S Moderator
  • 3,608 posts
  • Steam:G0rt2002
  • Server:Bunker #10

Have you blown the dust out of the video card fins and interior of case?  May be a heat issue..

Jecoliah

Jecoliah

I Come Here Often

• Bunker Admins
  • 3,297 posts

Have you blown the dust out of the video card fins and interior of case?  May be a heat issue..

Also the cpu fan and heatsink.  That heatsink is probably clogged up.

Jec

RiotSquad

RiotSquad

Becoming a Part of the Forum

• Bunker Members
  • 288 posts
  • Tb:4337191
  • Server:Bunker #4

dust can be a serious problem

another thing could be a broken driver install

You could try to uninstall the actual driver and reinstall it again - if that doesn't work, try an older one.

Is there a blue screen coming up with an error code or something before rebooting?

Give us an overview about your actual hardware and OS version pls :)

Snoid

Snoid

The main problem is there is no updated driver for my GForce 7600GT Graphics card.  My computers boots up normally about 75% of the time. The other 25% I get a blue screen and a prompt asking me what mode I want to use to reboot.  I usually do safe mode until I see clean graphics on my screen... then I reboot normally and everything is alright. The only thing that comes up occasionally is a prompt that says (Build 7601: Service pack 1). After checking online... this appears to be an old problem and I don't think it's an issue with my computer.  My rig operates normally 75% of the time.  The graphics driver problem gets nasty when I try to play ET or watch videos.  I have trouble loading... lag when playing back... and when I try to play ET... my computer freaks out and shuts down and does an auto reboot... sometimes getting the blue screen and other times it just reboots normally.  I've searched for an updated driver and for my graphics card and it's not supported any longer.

I really don't want to put any money into my old rig and am saving for a new one.  As long as I don't "push" my graphics card... everything seems to work just fine.

I also always keep a can of "Ultra Duster" Industrial Strength on hand and use it every couple of months.  It's amazing what dust can do to the guts of a computer.  So I don't think that's my problem.

This post is more to let people know why I'm not playing lately... although I always welcome advice.  I think buying a new rig will be plausible sometime around April 2016 unless something else happens around here where I have to use my computer fund for something else.

Snoid

-=BRASIL=-

-=BRASIL=-
  • Server:Unselected

Drivers from the NVidia http://www.geforce.com/drivers

TheDragon

TheDragon

Sticking Around

• Bunker Members
  • 1,198 posts

being both a painter/carpenter (over 36 years and going still) and a New England resident I hear you on the home repairs.  Just use the 'good' paint, don't skimp on the cheap stuff.  You'll end up spending far more time painting and it'll not last as long so a loss loss to attempt to save $

As to the old fart with the old machine I hear ya there too.  Hell, Owen kept glowing my ass when ever I lagged out sat on b4, lol  Like I needed any more handicaps :D

Polish cow tipper

Polish cow tipper

• Bunker Members
  • 409 posts

Do what i do and order a new rig and build it from www.NEWEGG.com, 0% interest up to 12 months if you qualify, can't beat that deal~! no money out of pocket until the following month~!

peyote

peyote
  • Server:Bunker #2
Good luck Snoid,
what CapTn said about Ramdac and stuff - check that, if you have updated drivers or windows before getting those problems - then getting older drivers, or an older version of windows could fix it.
Otherwise, no idea.. sounds like hardware problem to me, but yer could be anything - tbh I was could at fixing pc's 10 years ago, but today I feel like having no idea either, so many options what could be wrong.
  • *CapTn* likes this

Creepy Geek

Creepy Geek

Will Become Famous Soon Enough

• Bunker Admins
  • 2,957 posts

I don't think it's the RamDac's  (actually the 7600gt like the 7800gt has 2 in one chip)

Never seen a RamDac die except the ones i killed myself by ESD (connecting a life - non grounded - and experimental LCD display at work)

RamDac's nowadays are also integrated into the Core-logic of the GPU itselves. You can't blow those anymore :)

What i think in your case is the most common failure that happened with the 7000 generation (until up the GTX400 gen)

Nvidia started to use  a different technique to "solder" the GPU-Chip to the main PCB by using plumbum free solder (lead-free)

They needed to push the soldering-temperature  up because Lead has a lower soldering point then Lead-free solder.

But this process was at the time not that good for the GPU so they did change the way of soldering.

Now here is the (common) problem. The BGA (ball grid array)  underneath the chip (little dots of solder) tend to crack over time due to heat expansion.

(image of such a crack)

So if you have the system just idll or not using the 3d part of your GPU you have no problem....once you switch to a game and are "heating" it up, you will get to see artifacts that are well know to this problem.

Dust can be a pain in the ass butt even the 7000 series of Nvidia start to throttle if the thermal design power is reached.

(game starts to stutter but will not crash)

i (myself) have rescued a couple of GPU-cards by "reflowing" the GPU.

You need a Paintstripper (hotairgun) some thermal-paste (silverpast) and some time ....oh and some iron balls....hihi...

You have only one shot at glory ;) when it fails, it's just a nice ornament hanging in your Computer case hehe 

Good luck.

Ps there are a couple of forums that discuss and have how-to's

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

;)

Edited by Creepy Geek, 22 October 2015 - 08:06 PM.

• TheDragon, *CapTn* and Rhino Cracker like this

Rhino Cracker

Rhino Cracker

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 119 posts

Without reading everything, here are some suggestions from my side:

- Check temperatures of GPU and CPU during heavy usage

(gpu-temp-check: maybe GPU-Z

cpu-temp-check: maybe CPU-Z or Everest

GPU and CPU usage: maybe furmark burn-in-test)

If it immediately turn off, I'd say it's the power supply.

If it reproducable turns off after some time of running, I'd say it's an overheating problem.

I think you might also be able to trigger the error/behaviour creepy geek described.

- Check the BSOD-Messages:

Turn off automatic reboot and read carefully what your pc is trying to tell you.

If necessary, use BlueScreenView to analyze the minidump of your memory.

- If it's not a hardware but a software issue:

Try using exactly the driver (version) that has been shipped with your card with exactly the operating system it is made for.

Polish cow tipper

Polish cow tipper

• Bunker Members
  • 409 posts

My suggestion is 0% financing through newegg for 12 months..Its that simple~!  You other guys make it more complicated than it sounds, this is the best way for a new pc and small monthly payments~!

****If that don't work i would suggest you check the flux capacitor~!  :D

Edited by Polish cow tipper, 24 October 2015 - 03:57 PM.

Creepy Geek

Creepy Geek

Will Become Famous Soon Enough

• Bunker Admins
  • 2,957 posts

hihihi the Flux-capacitor.....quick Marty to the Delorean hehehe

Hey on the other side...Snoid....we can't afford loosing a nice  peep like you , so if you like I could contribute a bit.

I'm also willing to pay for the shipment cost to get that 7800 from Captn to your place.

Would be nice to keep a fellow |>B<|rother active on the fields :D

pm me if you like we can discuss!

Polish cow tipper

Polish cow tipper

• Bunker Members
  • 409 posts

Well that is why u check to see if your accepted, they can only say "NO" and there is always one negative nelly in the bunch~!  and i highly don't think he is going to pour $1500 into a pc, i don't think he games like i do where i need a high end rig, i could be wrong, maybe he does...

Snoid

Snoid

I'll be back soon.  One of my boys is building me a new rig.  I'm making a trip to the Minneapolis area (he lives in Plymouth) next week to pick it up.  It will run on the Windows 10 platform.  I will be installing ET!!!

Thanks for all the support etc. I still love Bunker... even with occasional drama... lol...

• Bean likes this

G0rt

G0rt

Galactic Policeman

• S Moderator
  • 3,608 posts
  • Steam:G0rt2002

Occasional?  LoL.  Will be nice to see you back online.