15 replies to this topic

Rhino Cracker

Rhino Cracker

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 112 posts
  • Server:Bunker #4
Click to view battle stats
I've recently upgraded from a HD4890 (no 10 drivers) to a R9 390 (no XP drivers) and had to switch from XP to 10.
My MotherBoard is not certified for Win10, this means that there are no specific but the standard drivers for it, which here and there are causing some trouble (video/audio playbacjk freezes for milliseconbds when pressing a key on a ps/2 keyboard).
Therefore I cannot tell if the following behaviour is caused by Win10 itself or by the graphics card or even by the standard drivers for the MoBo:

In the setup XP+HD4890 I usually was able to have the 125fps stable. NQ-Mod with ~15 players brought it to its limit and sometimes it dropped to 100 or even 80 fps. (okay, there were some maps like the_raid with partial drops to ~5fps, but lets not talk about these issues).
I remember without any fps-limits set I had about ~250-350 fps, but wasn't able to keep it above 333, so I've chosen 125 (and afaik your b4 server forces com_maxfps = 125).

Now after my """UPGRADE""" to R9-390+Win10 I cannot keep the 125fps in any situation. In the löowest cpu-using situations its about 115-125. The most of the time its around 80. In the situations, where my fps usually dropped to 80 fps, now its a drop to ~50.

Do you have any ideas, what I could try to increase fps without decreasing video quality?

I've already tried:
- /seta r_primitives 2 (raised fps from 2-5 to the level it has now, so it's already done)
- priority=realtime (~5fps more)
- only 1 core (~0-5fps more)
- disable uac virtualization (0fps diff.)
- kill all unnecessary tasks like explorer.exe, catalyst manager, etc (+10-20fps) (this is not poracticable for me, I don't want to reboot after every single ET session)
- try a fresh install of ET with low and high graphics settings (on lowest I have 140fps in et-benchmark, on highest I have 130fps)
- watch cpu frequncy (swinging between 2,97ghz and 3,0ghz (max) when playing et)

This performance drop really pisses me off - some operations in ET are frame-based and are slower with smaller fps or even variating in speed when fps are variating. A machine thats components are 6 years younger as ET and thats gpu is 12 yearsn younger should be able to run that old bitch with ~1000fps and not not even making 76 stable...
  • Screwloose likes this

Rhino Cracker

Rhino Cracker

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 112 posts

Could you do me a favour?

This demo of Bunker4Fun is playing at ~47fps on my current setup.

Could you play it back in highspeedmode (place it in nq\demos, execute /timedemo 1, /demo lag) and tell me the fps (written in console after demoplayback finished)?

And do you have any idea what's causing such low fps in that scene?

Edited by Rhino Cracker, 14 November 2015 - 10:39 PM.

*CapTn*

*CapTn*

Will Become Famous Soon Enough

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  • Steam:captn3
  • Server:Bunker #1

want me to  post my cfg .. and my  video settings so u can compare..

imma guess its     the way it is recognized in w10 ..i supose the path way is diff.

have u done a search to see  if any one else with same hardware had same issues...

and does it do this  in any senario or is it just et.

try turnnig off pb see if it still messing with u..????

do u have  / maxfps set....

do u have maxpackets 100

and rate atlest 25000?

Edited by *CapTn*, 14 November 2015 - 10:08 PM.

Rhino Cracker

Rhino Cracker

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 112 posts

rate: yes

maxpackets: yes

maxfps: 125, but is ignored if timedemo=1

pb is off (seta sv_punkbuster "0", seta cl_punkbuster "1" // necessary for et-key transmission, but no talking with pb tasks when sc_punk=0)

coulödnt find someone witzh same setup and same problems. usually they are solved by r_primitives. maybe my< setup is unique :)

et should no longer be bound to video settings nowadays. gpus are bored from et, its just the cpus that get used alot.

but maybe there is a magic trick in config you might have set, so post it :)

and your fps after demo ofc. and your OS.

I've asked a housemate to run it. He got a cpu that should be a little bit faster than mine and also win10. he got <30fps.

my old laptop from 2008 running winxp 64bit on a T7800 (2,2ghz, 2core) with a 8600M even makes 76fps...

So as it looks like to me, Win10 seems not to be usable for ET... looks like some ppl dont have problems with it... or haven't noticed yet?

Edited by Rhino Cracker, 14 November 2015 - 10:39 PM.

QuQu

QuQu

Postin Ain't Easy

• Bunker Admins
  • 722 posts

IMG_4859_50400.jpg

Had there 125 fps on screen, no lag.

I have tried to run ET some time ago from different storages.

Only play from dvd gives lower fps then 125 ;)  Memory stick (usb2) is also stable

I doubt, that u have poor cfg.

But if u wanna try

http://speedy.sh/N8gFB/tweak.cfg

There is :

seta r_customheight "1080"
seta r_customwidth "1920"
u might wanna change that.

Only cfg tweaks part, no controls or say/vsay

Im not the smartest one at all, as u know :)

I myself and one mate of mine run win10 now since it come out .

There is no problem with anything so far, no with ET at all too.

I cant say, that win10 is any different then win7 - only skin. ( look that 1st sentence ;)  )

It seems to me, that u might have some trouble with hardware or drivers.

I use this stuff, where gpu is weakest point, much weaker then R9 u have

Capture.jpg

Try my cfg, lets see, is it any better to perform.

Good luck and see you on fight !  :)

Rhino Cracker

Rhino Cracker

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 112 posts

with your config (after changing r_primitives) I have ~26fps

peyote

peyote
  • Server:Bunker #2
Try atioglxx.dll
Basically get that file, and put it alongside et.exe.
Here some way to get it:
https://steamcommuni...58724796395601/
  • *CapTn* likes this

Creepy Geek

Creepy Geek

• Bunker Admins
  • 2,955 posts

I don't have AMD but NviDia so I dunno what your standard driver-setting are in control panel...

Is Vsync "disabled" on driver level?  - I leave this disabled for ET - OpenGl

Is your display set to 1 monitor.   - Nvidia sets this every time a new driver is installed to multi-monitor what i not have - but it sees the hdmi ports - this helps a little on the frames

Is Threat optimizing "disabled"  - I have this one on automatically or of for ET

What CPU you have?

My intel Cpu has  a integrated GPU that i do not use (not even for physics - I have SLI - no need) but i need to disable it in EUFI/Bios because sometimes 

windows sees the Intel-Cpu/Gpu as main video 3d card and ploink there went my fps. weird!

B4 is limited to 125 fps but to be honest 80 should be more than enough to have a fluid gameplay.

Maybe check the amount memory you have installed. Furthermore I always disable the "virtual memory" of the windows system.

A quicker HDD should be not the issue like QQ mentioned. Any HDD from even a 486 should be fast enough :D

Oh another thing - Do you have ingame "sync every frame" set to ON?

Then your connection can be also the max fps limit. Then your computer want to sync every frame to the server. I find this option also a bit "shaky" to play. I leave this OFF. 

Maybe you can play with that setting :D

And for the last.....but this is really NOT recommended......... Connect to another server and see if the problem is the same there.......(but then you come back real quick hihi)

*CapTn*

*CapTn*

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  • Steam:captn3
  • Server:Bunker #1

now remember if u get it fixed let us all know peyote is usually  a tech guru so ..id try his idea..

creepy  is awsome dude to maybe hes on to some thing .. im old school i use old shit for et makes it easy.

also fa or ps might be able to help too. i tried finding ur problem .. only solution i found was r primativs.

Edited by *CapTn*, 15 November 2015 - 01:37 PM.

OldChap

OldChap

Becoming a Part of the Forum

• Bunker Admins
  • 475 posts
  • Tb:1410130

1015 frames, 10.0 seconds: 101.8 fps

with

Relative new gfx (<1 year) : ASUS GeForce GTX 960 Strix - 2GB GDDR5

But 6 years old cpu/mobo : i7 920 / Gigabyte EX58-UD5     

I upgraded to windows 10 last week (from 7) and haven't had problems.

FPS drops from 114 to 80 in the end of the demo btw :(

I recently cleaned up my ET folder from maps and logfiles (8 GB :O)  - because of some lag issues. I dont know if that could be it ?

/chap

Creepy Geek

Creepy Geek

• Bunker Admins
  • 2,955 posts
System 
Windows 7 SP1

Intel i7-3770K - Nvidia Sli 670GTX - 16Gb memory - SSD 256GB

1620 Frames , 6.4 seconds: 254.1 fps

Sli on or of gives same results

When i put processor affinity to only 1 core this is the result. (so only 1 core active) 

1620 Frames , 6.6 seconds: 243.8 fps

So my SLI is doing nothing special in ET and the 4 (8 hyper) cores are do the same as 1 core. This is also confirmed in task manager history diagram.

I also did a test with FRAPS and MSI Afterburner on/off but could not see difference (both programs to monitor FPS as overlay in games)

Hope this helps you a bit.

Edited by Creepy Geek, 15 November 2015 - 08:36 PM.

Rhino Cracker

Rhino Cracker

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 112 posts

atioglxx.dll: both dlls contained in the zip file linked on your page make et crash on start when switching to fullscreen.

sync every frame in ET is off. I've turned it on because I had more problems with "splitted frames" on win10, but then I have "splitted lines" (splitted frames: on slowly turning left a wall on the screen is more to the right in the upper half of the screen as in the lower, the lower part is one frame behind; splitted lines: a vertical line is tilted against the turning direction, lines in the upper are stetically more ahead as the lower lines)

GPU-VSYNC is set to "off, as long as app doesn't override it".

Those are my game-settings in catalyst: http://i.pictr.com/gfmuo1lvel.jpg

most are set to "do as defined by application"

I've also tried this manual 7 chipset driver install thing we've talked about no the et server: no change.

What made a change was loading maus.cfg from etconfig.net. But not in orders of magnitude but of about ~20% (raised it to ~60fps)

I've got a AMD PHENOM II X4 940 BE (4x3,0GHz)

It's on other servers and mods, too, as soon as there is a situation outside with some playeras and fog etc.

Screwloose

Screwloose

• Old retired farts
  • 1,563 posts

thanks Rhino

I will bookmark this for when i finally get Win10

-=BRASIL=-

-=BRASIL=-
  • Server:Unselected

I guess has another good thing about w7\w9\w10 install ASAP i will put all togheter in a folder in the cloud and will share it again on our forum. I guess is a good time to us, get something like a cloud to share .spread with our members and players who loves ET, i guess we have to do a lil force to keep us and all around. :)

Rhino Cracker

Rhino Cracker

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 112 posts

I've got new info about these performance probs:
I've installed a new Ubuntu on a free parttion on my PC, installed all available updates afterwards and installed the new video card driver that has been released since my former attempt.
Then I downloaded ET from splashdamage and installed it (which included extracting it, installing packages listed as required in the readme file, executing the installer (without sudo, it requests those rights afterwards by itself), noticing that the et key generator didn't work anymore (sntp: command not found), confirming with yes a few hundred times and manually creating some folders and changing their owners temporarily so that the installer can write into it).
After installing it, I opened ET, chose "high" quality and "lan/cable/dsl" as connection type and turned on PunkBuster in the profile creation wizard, wrote an autoexec.cfg with r_customwidth/-height/r_mode/fov changed, restarted ET, connected to bunker4fun and recorded a demo.

Then I restarted ET, switched to nq mod, typed "/timedemo 1", "/demo lagtest2.dm_84".
So my fresh installed Ubuntu makes: (lagtest2.dm_84) 1262 frames, 7.7 seconds, 163.2 fps

After this I transferred the new demo file to my Win10 and played it backl in 
my current ET installation: (lagtest2.dm_841262 frames, 13.8 seconds, 91.2 fps

To have a fair comparison between Win10 and Linux, I created a new ET installation similar to that on linux: I used the Wolfenstein-ET-2.60b.exe [259 MB (272.116.872 Bytes)], opened ET, chose "high" quality and "lan/cable/dsl" as connection type and turned on PunkBuster in the profile creation wizard, wrote an autoexec.cfg with r_customwidth/-height/r_mode/fov changed, restarted ET, connected to bunker4fun and noticed that I had to change r_primitives to 2 (I had 6fps with 0 selected).
Then I restarted ET, switched to nq mod, typed "/timedemo 1", "/demo lagtest2.dm_84".
And my new ET installation on Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit makes: (lagtest2.dm_841262 frames, 12.0 seconds, 104.9 fps

So my conclusion is that on one hand I got a bullshit config, which lowers fps by 10-15% from default high settings, and that, on the other hand, my Win10 definitly reduces my ET performance to about ~60% of what my machine can do. (due to hardware incompatibility I guess, missing chipset drivers and so on)
Maybe it is quite a claim, but based on the fact, that my Laptop (running on XP Prof. 64-Bit as well as Kubuntu 6.x - 16.0.4.x) has better ET-performance on XP as on Linux, I also conclude That my XP still could make >60% more performance - if there was a god damned R9 390 driver for XP of course!

I think I will investigate possible differences in the configs created by linux and windows by default and check what happens by exchanging them. I'm mostly interested in the r_primitives selection of Linux, which I can't check until the next reboot.
Also I will try to activate my onboard GPU (Radeon HD3xxx ?) and test how it peforms in XP. (my new graphics card is the only part incompatible with XP on my current machine)

Edited by Rhino Cracker, 24 January 2017 - 11:58 AM.

Rhino Cracker

Rhino Cracker

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 112 posts

The "solution" might be close.

I'm planning to build a new machine next month :)