8 replies to this topic

Rhino Cracker

Rhino Cracker

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 115 posts
  • Server:Bunker #4
Click to view battle stats

Hi all, I guess I wiill be more active again this summer. :)

I wondered where is the best place to write this and decided it to be the B4-SubForum, because i was mostly active on B4.^^

There is also the Hardware forum, but this is mostly covered by news threads. :)

After 10 years, my old Phenom II machine finally reached its limit, which says "you can't run this game".

I've built this beast in summer 2009 after months of concrete planning and lots of conversatons with hardware freaks, using a 4 x 3,0 GHz CPU (160€ by AMD  :tease:), a mid-class 120€ Gigabyte Mainboard, 8GB of RAM, a HD4890 Vapor-X GPU (230€). I always planned this machine to live 4-6 years, and that I had to replace the GPU after 2 years. Besides Crysis 3 (in 2013?), which was the first game I tried to play that forced the user to have a DX11-GPU, I could play everything (--> I simply lent a newer but slower gpu by a housemate for this game  :tease:), it never saw a game it couldn't handle until 2015.
In 2015 I upgraded to a R9 390 Nitro GPU and a SSD for system/programs/games - it had enough power for the most titles but didn't come with XP drivers, which forced me to switch to Win10, which came with a drastic et performance decrease (meanwhile I believe the reason to be the missing (not available) chipset drivers and an incompatible scheduler).
Until this may this beast could run every game I inserted (need for speed payback at 20-60fps, but it started  :tease:). But after Apex Legends, which I didn't try so far (they said it crashes on Phenom II CPUs), there was Rage 2, which crashes on loading the first mission. It needs a "SSE4.2" command set which my CPU simply doesn't have. And I believe that's its end, it also won't be able to handle Doom (5) Eternal, Wolfenstein The Young Blood and more of the upcoming titles.

I'm very enthusiastic about the upcoming Ryzen CPUs that are going to be released at 7.7. with their 7nm achitecture. At the same time I'm pissed off, because a leak in early 2019 said that the Ryzen 7 3700X will have 12 cores and cost ~330€; there will be a 3700X for ~330€, but it will only have 8 cores; the 12 core machine will be called Ryzen 9 3900X and cost ~500€, which I'm not willing to pay for a CPU - but well, thats life. :D

So I'm planning to build a new gaming machine in the hope it will last as long as the old one did. :)

At this moment I am just uncertain what machine I will exactly build:

- It could be a mini pc (dan a4 case?) using a 3700X (or weaker) and a new gpu (my R9 390 doesn't fit inside, its 2cm too long :D).

- I could build a big one, buy a X470 mainboard (older chipset, but compatible with new CPUs) and a 3700X for the moment and replace these parts by a newer used one from ebay next year - then with a X570 mainboard (newer chipset, got PCIe4 and so on) - and sell my own used 3700X with mainboard then.

- I could re-use my R9 390 Nitro from 2015 or buy a new GPU (in my opinion, the current GPUs are not very interesting, because they are too expensive for their performance over my R9 390).

So you see: I want a new one, but there are a few variants in my head.^^

However, I hope it will have a much better performance, not only in the newest games, but also in ET:

- My current CPU got ~1000 points in PassMark's Single-Thread-Performance (STP) Benchmark (while i7 4790K reached 2500 points in 2014...).

- The Ryzen 7 2700X got ~2200 STP points.

- They promised the new Ryzen 3000 CPUs shall be able to handle 15% more instructions per clock (IPC).

- Ryzen 7 3700X will have 4,4GHz turbo clock speed (compared to Ryzen 7 2700X with 4,3GHz turbo clock speed, it's 2,3% more)

--> If my assumptions are correct, this will lead in 2200*1,15*1,023=2588 Single Thread Performance Points in PassMark.

And a performance factor of 2,5 for ET compared to my old CPU.

So Win10 performance decrease bullshit or not, I think this machine will be able to handle ET at 125fps constantly, or even at 333fps. Which means, I will have fun at playing ET again^^ Which means, I will be more active in here again^^  :yahoo:  :laugh2:  :wizard:  :superman2:  :party:  :party:  :party:

But I'm not only writing all of this to say "I wll have a new pc and be back then next month" ^^

I always have an open ear for the opinions of others and wanted to ask: What do you think about my plans to build up a new machine?

Maybe especially about my variants? I'm usually someone that buys hardware with a very good performance-price-ratio. Hardware, that also lasts for some time. This somehow kicks out a Ryzen 9 3900X and a very new GPU.

• Falkes, soccerkill, *CapTn* and 1 other like this

Dani

Dani

Still Considered a Newbie

• Bunker Friends
  • 39 posts

Hey man, congrats.

I am happy with my 6 year old PC: i5 3570k + AMD 270x + 16GB RAM + SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256GB.

My case is the legendary Antec P182 I am a freak of silent PC. I am tempted to upgrade the case and get the BeQuiet Silent Base 601 or 801 (check them out!!)

Anyway im saving for a racing car, the 2003 Seat Toledo 20VT, I hope to get it for my birthday (21st August) :D

Rhino Cracker

Rhino Cracker

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 115 posts

Those be quiet silent base cases are also on my list of possible cases :)

Maybe a Dan A4 case could be very silent as well? You can assemble it so the cpu cooler and gpu cooler sucks air directly from the outside and lets it flout through the inside. Also it's very "open" (only net-like metal at 3 large sides) - so I hope the fans can turn off in idle mode (no/low noise while watching movies).

Noone else had to add anythying about my pc plans for the passed week, so we can as well talk about cars :D

I also was driving a Seat Toledo some years ago. It was something like a present to my father by a mate (it was his son's first car, it looked like hell and  he wanted it to put to junkyard). A 2000's Toledo (110 PS, Diesel). He tuned the supercharger a little (simple chip programming: set the air loading pressure from +0,5 bar to +1,5 bar), killed the supercharger, bought a new one, cleaned the whole interior and had something really awesome: You could drive this car with 5,7 l/100km, while averaging 160 km/h on the "carway" (Autobahn), with episodes of hunting with 210 km/h. It had an awesome torque that enabled you to hunt sport cars until 100 km/h in acceleration (I guess he tuned it to the largest version of that engine, which means ~320 Nm).

Its death was a non-working abs pump, which was more expensive than the remaining value of the car (in Germany, it's allowed to drive cars without abs, but only when that series never had abs. If it had, a non-working abs results in no goods vehicle test certificate (TÜV)). So he sold it to someone in a country, where you are allowed to drive cars with non-working abs...^^

Don't get me wrong, that interiour looks awesome (is this default or is this a modded one???), but wouldn't a 1.9 TDI with second smallest engine and some chip tuning also be a nice choice for you?
I guess, compared to your version, the Diesel one would accerlerate faster until you go past 100 km/h and 2000 rpm, then at some point the 1.8 20VT would race away.

Edited by Rhino Cracker, 22 June 2019 - 10:43 AM.

Mongo

Mongo

Sticking Around

• Bunker Admins
  • 1,082 posts
  • Server:Bunker #2

About Computers I do not know much. Last time I bought I talked to Peyote.
To play ET you do not need an over-the-counter computer but you may want something for the future and for all new games if you want to play them.

I have more trouble not being able to play the old games.

Cars that also came up.
Falkes mate took over the record time after.

Strange that he did it with a French car.
I have in fact submitted the French quality frankly the other way round.
But he does well. like an old r4 renault.

:laugh2:

Rhino Cracker

Rhino Cracker

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 115 posts

I have more trouble not being able to play the old games.

Games that used to run on win xp?

i7 2700K and GTX 780 Ti are that fastest parts that still work with XP.

You could build one with parts from ebay, with some creative sound card suporting all that audigy stuff.

Maybe with a big midrange-speed ssd

Mongo

Mongo

Sticking Around

• Bunker Admins
  • 1,082 posts
  • Server:Bunker #2

I have an old XP computer that I can use, the new one that also starts to get old Win7 64 "prof" that many games worked before has been stopped working. Tried many instructions from "Web" but did not make it work.

Even UT has begun to strangle.

I think I can keep alive with my old computers.

The thing whith Old games was also from 95-98 to XP.

:)

Rhino Cracker

Rhino Cracker

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 115 posts

But after Apex Legends, which I didn't try so far (they said it crashes on Phenom II CPUs), there was Rage 2, which crashes on loading the first mission. It needs a "SSE4.2" command set which my CPU simply doesn't have. And I believe that's its end, it also won't be able to handle Doom (5) Eternal, Wolfenstein The Young Blood and more of the upcoming titles.

Small update: after the last giant update for Rage 2, it no longer crashes on loading the first "thing" after the intro cutscene after pressing new game.

"Fixed an issue where the title crashed when launching the game using minimum spec hardware."

Runs at 30-60fps at 90-100% cpu usage on my old Phenom 2; gpu-usage unmeasurable.

Not sure if I will build that machine then, this month.

Edited by Rhino Cracker, 04 July 2019 - 12:21 PM.

Rhino Cracker

Rhino Cracker

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 115 posts

Attached File  Unbenannt.jpg   89.21KB   0 downloads

very promising and far beyond my assumptions^^

Dani

Dani

Still Considered a Newbie