3 replies to this topic

Rhino Cracker

Rhino Cracker

On The Road To Success

• Bunker Members
  • 138 posts
  • Server:Bunker #4
Click to view battle stats
Hi,  I'm just at setting up my new pc... with new pc come new problems...^^ and my old etmin.exe didn't start anymore.

On launch, it showed a messagebox with the text "crapolio", nothing else :D
I had no reference for this problem, it was just laying in my et dir since ~2006.
The context menu of the systray icon of this program (if it launches of course, --> had to watch it on my old pc) shows "made by gon (gonbon.com)".

I thought this website could be worth a visit, but... take a look by yourself :D, it shows:
Attached File  gonbon.com.PNG   5.79KB   0 downloads
So, maybe the website's sourcecode shows something that could give contact information of the dev? But also: nope.

So my next attempt was to check the domain registrar information (do a whois check on the website).
It shows porkbun.com as registrator, so... I'm pretty sure,
- he either just entered those informations because it sounds funny
- or he used ther service as "an amazingly awesome ICANN accredited domain name registrar based out of Portland" [src]
But that won't lead to him or any informations about his program.^^

So thought, maybe, when he had that app there once, the Internet Archive Project might have a state of that website where etmin was on it, maybe with some further information on how to reach that #+Ü?)( and ask him for the source code of his application.^^
And voila, it has snapshots of that website from 2003 until today:
Attached File  gonbon-archive_entries.PNG   5.5KB   0 downloads

The first saving really looked like a very beta-ish state. Just something like a webspace, with some private files, available for everyone... (The internet never forgets^^)
After some crawling through the website-snapshots, between 2004 and 2012 I could find the missing etmin project info page, showing a sourcecode, yay! :)

I thought, now it will get complicated, was about to start understanding the code, took a first look through the code and directly stumbled over this:
Attached File  crapolio.png   3.93KB   0 downloads
show me the message "crapolio" --> strike!
If hotkey is not registered, show me the message "crapolio" --> what the heck? why should the hotkey not get registered properly.
I remembered that all hotkeys had to be registered somewhere in windows. Maybe in registry, don't rememeber. AutoHotKey had to deal with this registration process. But Why the heck it cannot register that hotkey!? --> Because some other application already registered it.
And here was the issue: The software for my new graphics card registers much more hotkeys, than that for my old one 8I can't say I really like the change of that software). I modifyed the hotkeys (replaced that one using Alt+Z) and voila, etmin.exe can start again. :)

Long story short:
- If you ever see the message "crapolio", send a message to Matthew Vilcsak and ask him to make better error messages, then search for the application that registered Alt+Z and kill it ;)
- If you want to know how minimizing of quake 3 engine based games works or if you want to fix something that doesnt work with this program, the sourcecode can be found above :)

Creepy Geek

Creepy Geek

Will Become Famous Soon Enough

• Bunker Admins
  • 2,971 posts

I have that same error message when i start the program two times.

hehehe if all goes wrong - crapolio - ^^

Screwloose

Screwloose

Will Become Famous Soon Enough

• Old retired farts
  • 1,572 posts

i can send you etmin.exe if it doesn't  work. its 67kb

Rhino Cracker

Rhino Cracker

On The Road To Success