Making my first map

Hello everyone,

I am making my first map, taking some time though as i have had to learn how to use GTK Radiant, and Blender so i can use some models of my own.  I am also having problems with simple things such as adding a button as the Func_button is missing along with a few other Functions. But it is getting there slowly 😛

Hi Everyone

Does anyone know much about Blender? i have made items however i am having trouble exporting them with the materials/textures. I have looked at loads of tutorials, which are great for making items just not for exporting them.

Hi Geek

I have seen that, but it doesn't work for GTK Radiant which is what i use to make the map in...However i have just messaged them to see if they can help

😄Thank you for looking for me, that was really kind of you :P

Edited by SL4Y3R

I have not used Blender, only when I have a drink 🙂

The Models I made were very simple, I used "Q3_Model_Tool_v162" and it worked but may not have all the advanced features you want.

I have in mind that I built in Radiant and created * .map and then imported in the Q3 program and then saved as a * .md3.

I do not know if more advanced * .md3 is required for what you want to do but otherwise it should work well to make one or more * .map if there are to be several and then use the md3 tool.

Funk_buttom

In my version of Radiant that I used 1.4.0, I sometimes lacked good info about different "Entities". This got better after I downloaded files and put under the "Radiant" program. After that I had example 2 different Func_door but both were the same but one gave more info about "Entities".

I did not use Func_button if I remember correctly only Func_door and Func_door_rotating. Func_button activates when a player is close enough so it is not a real button you need to press (f) to use / open / move if I get it right.

If I am to be able to help you, I need more info, but I'm not very good at mapping, but I'll be happy to help you if I can. Send a PM.

🃏

ok so what i was doing is making something very small using blender, as it can't be done in radiant because of its size, it turns out that i can't export more than 1 texture to a .md3. (info from katsbits) and this is where im having the problem,  so im going to try and export the item in 3 pieces, and see if that works.

Im not wanting anything too advanced, so i will take a look at Q3_Model_Tool_v162 thank you Mongo

I have version 1.6.6 Gtk Radiant which has several of the entities missing and they are not in any of the other versions as i have downloaded them and looked, i believe there used to be a pack you could download which gives you func_button etc, however the links for this pack are no longer there. I want func_button (this is put on a switch or level) as i need it to open a door from only one side, func_door_rotating opens from both sides. like you said by pressing f.  I have got closer by using other functions however part of the switch floats off into another room lol.

The mapping bit i have managed to learn and understand, and the  main map is more or less done, its a matter of adding objects to it, tables chairs etc are easy to make in Radiant. its smaller items or unuseual items.

Any help is very much appreciated and thank you Mongo.

I know you said pm you Mongo but i thought it better to put this here then everyone can see it and i don't have to repeat myself 🙂

• Falkes pinned this topic

In version 1.4.0, the lowest grid size is 0.25. it is very small but maybe you want less.

A player needs 80 in height and 40 in width if he gets up or moves forward

Do not know if you have an elevator or any other type of transport but when you are at the end of the destination or if someone has chosen to go with the transport maybe you can use a Should check further on Funk_door and only have touch? Have not tested this but maybe a touch function in the elevator / transport allows you to open the door from the inside.

Falkes has set up an elevator as a prefab that you can download and examine on the website. I do not have a computer with Radiant that is connected but I have to try to arrange it so I can also test.

I tested a later version which I guess was the one you use when I tried to make a tunnel on MLB Egypt Map. It did not work in 1.4.0 and not in a version of 1.6.? Lots of trouble with holes in the map and other things, doubt that it was the latest version of .map that created these wonderful maps that you could download.

Yes version 1.6.6 has the same grid size, but doesn't like 0.25, as when i use that and save it, the brush disapears, i think i might have found a way to solve the problem with my small model, and that is to save the 3 parts of it separately, which are all different colours, then put them back together in radiant. Its only really one model i need to do this with, (its an important model) i can make the others in radiant as they are bigger. i did want to use just my own models and ones within radiant however i think i will be using other peoples too, i found a website with lots of them which are there for people to use, as long as creit is given of course.

No i don't have an elevator, but i will go look at the one Falkes has set up, thank you 🙂 As for the touch on the doors, i don't know, i haven't looked at that, that will be the next think i try thank you:)

Holes? hmmm do you mean like leaks? 

Ahh yes, it must have been leaking through to the void area. Ummmm from the fact that you have made maps before, that wouldn't make sense though, as I am assuming that you extended the outer box that seals the map off from the void? 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry late reply but I fixed the holes but there were other errors that I could not fix and then I gave up.

How's your map? Can we pro play or see some screen shots.

Owen can probably put it in the B4 server so that it can be tested, have you managed to do bot splines or the other as it is called in the ET world?

Hi Mongo

No worries, i know what it like when i get stuck into my map, time just flies by lol.

Great news on fixing the holes, what are the other errors? i have had loads of errors and sorted them eventually, i might beable to help?

I have managed to do quite a bit of my map the last few days, i have decided not to try and make my own models for now, something i will learn later on i think. I have had to make it bigger as it was a bit on the small side and would probably be completed within 5 minutes lol. Thank you for asking.

Yes I will do some screen shots, once i have finished making it bigger and got most things sorted.

Pro Play? im not sure how we can do that?

Yes i will ask Owen if he minds putting it on his server once i am happy its ready to go.

Bot Splines? is that the same as Bot Waypoints.

Edited by SL4Y3R

What I tried to change on the MLB Egypt map with a tunnel at the lock is completely gone since the computer crash I had in late 2019 that I got help on the old forum to try to solve.

I have no plans to make a new attempt and besides, that attempt was probably shortly after 2012 or something like that.

But thank you for trying to help.

If I ever start mapping again, I know who to ask in case of problems.

Bot splines old UT = Waypoints.

Ahhh ok, no worries, I am always happy to help if i can, i know how hard it is to learn something if you don't get help from somewhere. .....Waypoints...yes i started doing waypoints years ago, for clan i was with who had maps with  no waypoints or didn't quite work correctly. So thats the easy part of making a map for me.